AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will rip a DVD with Linux. I the result should be a 1:1 copy of the DVD with the full DVD structure.

At the moment I use vobcopy but these are only files and doesn't contain the structure. Can you recommend a program please?

·
Registered
84 Posts
structure? It copies over the structure of the dvd. That copy from vobcopy can even be played by ogle|xine|mplayer right from the hard drive. Ifo files come across, etc.

Do you want a file blob of the dvd? That can be done too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When vobcopy copies off the dvd it decrypts it. The resulting burned dvd will be un-encrypted and region free.

What linux lacks are a suite of tools that allow one to change the structure of the dvd (reliably edit ifo and vob files) as easily as it can be done on windows.

Having said that, have you considered trying dvd::rip? It is a start.
http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

great for ripping/transcoding dvds.

·
Registered
236 Posts
microe:

What is your experience with dvd::rip? Any syncing issues? It looks like it's harder to determine the exact a/v offset (if there's any).

I'm yet to try it--I got as far as installing it 2 days ago.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think what Frank is looking for (and what I'd also be interested in) is a tool that will rip the exact image of the DVD as a UDF filesystem image (minus the copy protection), which can then be mounted via loopback or used by utilities such as Daemon Tools in Windows.

DVD Decrypter in ISO mode can do this on Windows. I haven't seen something like this on Linux.

Krishna.

·
Registered
84 Posts
interesting. If vobcopy could write to standard out, you could make the udf image (decrypted) by piping it to mkisofs (at least recent versions). Without making all the files first.

Mounting it is a snap. Modifying it is the rub.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello,

my initial question was about a simple (file) ripping. The problem I had - in the first try I didn't find the -m (Mirror) setting of vobcopy ans so only the .vobs itselfs was copied.

Now, with the -m option, this is solved. I can copy the whole DVD to my HD and play from this place.

But there is another question. vobcopy seems to be slower than Windows programs. I tried the -F (fast) command but no improvment.

How is this with DVD:rip. Is this the same "engine" and a change for improvment? Did someone test this?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Frbie, what do you use to play the files copied with vobcopy -m?

I'd be interested in the actual command line you use.

Does vobcopy -m work with DVDs such as "Fight Club" where the 2nd title is the same movie shown in chronological order?

Krishna

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello,

for DVD playback you can use ogle when you want to have Menues but IMHO a fantastic player is MPlayer with and without GUI.

You know for simple DVD-playing you can use the GUI most of the basic features are implemented there.

But the MPlayer is for Linux that what the Zoomplayer AND ffdshow are for Windows. When you type a man mplyer you find a dokumenation which is very big. One big point is that you can use (de-)noise and sharpness filters with DVD. This is great.

When you use the gui you have to right click the window - preferences - Misc and adapt the path to your DVD-ROM. Please make shure that it is mounted.

When you want to use the command line it's simple, too, but more powerful.

The basic line is:

mplayer -dvd-device /mnt/dvd -dvd 1

The "1" gives MPlayer the Title you want to play which should include the main movie. The /mnt/dvd must be adapted to your drive OR the directory where the rip is located like this:

mplayer -dvd-device /mnt/hde1/dvd/Halloween -dvd 1

A more complex line is:

mplayer -fs -dvd-device /mnt/hde1/dvd/ResidentEvil -vop unsharp=l3x3:1,denoise3d=2:2:4 -contrast 9 -saturation 60 -brightness -7 -dvd 1

That means:

-fs = fullscreen

-unsharpmask (you can use it for more or less sharpness)

- Denoisefilter

- tuning of contrast, brightness and saturation (you can take the gui values here)

If you want to use MPlayer with ac3 path-through (you need alsa9 here): This line also includes a different DVD decoding engine ffmpeg12 and caching.

mplayer -vc ffmpeg12 -cache 8192 -dvd-device /mnt/hde1/dvd/RESIDENT_EVIL -vop unsharp=l3x3:1,denoise3d=2:2:4 -contrast 9 -saturation 60 -brightness -7 -ao alsa9 -ac hwac3,a52 -dvd 1

I someone have experiences with MPlayer ans DVD, please add them here.

Please be aware that these command lines are for the "DVD freaks" like me ;)

Normally you can use MPlayer with the GUI in the same way like WinDVD, PowerDVD...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frbie

But there is another question. vobcopy seems to be slower than Windows programs. I tried the -F (fast) command but no improvment.
Agreed. When I can get a reliable DVD rip (ha!), it's about 1/3rd the speed of DVD Decrypter in Windows. Linux has come a long way, but it still has a ways to go in this area.

Quote:
How is this with DVD:rip. Is this the same "engine" and a change for improvment? Did someone test this? [/b]
AFAIK, DVD::rip is a frontend to transcode and it's tools. If transcode is slow for you, DVD::rip will be as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frbie

How is this with DVD:rip. Is this the same "engine" and a change for improvment? Did someone test this?
dvd::rip is merely a wrapper to all of the fun that is transcode, mencode, vobcopy and their ilk. A nice wrapper. But it just uses all the same tools you would by hand/comand line.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Krishna
FDoes vobcopy -m work with DVDs such as "Fight Club" where the 2nd title is the same movie shown in chronological order?

Krishna
The -m command copies over the whole structure. So all titles are there. The player needs to understand titles. Ogle, mplayer and xine all understand titles and chapters. So you just have to use the right switch. As frbie already pointed out 'mplayer -dvd 2 -dvd-device /mnt/dvdrom' will play the second title on a dvd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been using DVD::Rip to transcode DVDs to XVID+AC3 without problem. A full movie takes about 20 minutes to copy the vob to the hard drive and around 2 hours for transcoding.

Of course if I had more a DVD burner I would just vobcopy the entire disks to backup DVD media.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I still cannot get a reliable rip using my ASUS 8x DVD-ROM drive. I even upgraded the firmware on the drive. Everything seems to work properly in Windows, but under Linux, it has all sorts of errors. Is ripping in Linux that unreliable?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikef
Is ripping in Linux that unreliable?
On the few rips I have tried, they have all worked. Having said that, the tools and libraries are all immature and changing rapidly. I would not be surprised that I have a vastly different cocktail of versions then someone else.

The vobcopy developer is also quite honest that vobcopy is his first ever linux/unix command line application. So it is bound to have some rough edges. Even so it is a pretty useful tool.

If you are having real trouble. Start another thread and we can hash it out. I have already contributed some patches to vobcopy so I am confident that if the problem is there we can get it integrated. The developer is responsive.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I will try another few rips and capture the error log. Sometimes it works for hours, other times, it fails to even start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's probably slower right now because linux dosen't support dma for rawread or whatever its called on atapi devices. You can get it to work by disabling atapi cdrom support and using scsi emulation for your dvd drive(or atleast for ripping cds). afaik the next version of linux will support it.

for ripping and converting I just use mencoder which comes with mplayer. If you really want a front end theres gmencoder but I would just take the command it says it's using,stop it, and type that in since on my system it ends up using half the system just to update the screen while its running.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shiba
It's probably slower right now because linux dosen't support dma for rawread or whatever its called on atapi devices. You can get it to work by disabling atapi cdrom support and using scsi emulation for your dvd drive(or atleast for ripping cds). afaik the next version of linux will support it.
I am using SCSI emulation and it's this layer that seems to be reporting the problems. I have yet to attempt this again, but when I do, I will post the error log.

Quote:

for ripping and converting I just use mencoder which comes with mplayer. If you really want a front end theres gmencoder but I would just take the command it says it's using,stop it, and type that in since on my system it ends up using half the system just to update the screen while its running.
I have been using Transcode. Is mencoder any better?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.