AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been trying to find what other software out there is people using. I want to convert my DVD to .MKV files so I can view them in WMC + MediaBrowser.

I've been having issues with the following software and I can't fix it:

HandBrake: In Windows 7 64bit I get a green line on the bottom and sides os the picture. People can't figure out why. Also its not the picture gets bight and back to normal very fast.. kinda like the old black and white movies. I also get this using WMP.

MKVMerge: I used it on few DVDs and the sound is delayed. Also once it converts to .MKV it playes the DVD menu for about 1minute before the movie starts. Can't figure out what is going on. I also can't play them using MPC, I only get sound.

So I'm looking for other software out there that I can use.

Basically I want to convert my DVDs to .MKV and been able to keep subtitles so I can turn on or off if needed. I don't need menues. I need full digital sound and subtitles.

It can either do 1 to 1 ratio copies or shrink.

Any of you know something I can use?

What are you all using?

Thanks!

·
Registered
659 Posts
If they need to be MKV, I would use MakeMKV, but personally I just rip my standard DVDs as they already are - video_ts, etc (using DVDShrink or DVDFab). I don't use WMC but I can't imagine it won't play them. I'm pretty sure you can't do menus in MKV containers.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I just use MakeMKV and I love it. Just a couple button pushes, no extra software and virtually no knowledge needed to use it. I just rip the main movie file with forced subtitles and that's it. Perfect .mkv file 99% of the time.

To play in WMC I installed Shark007 codec pack which comes with all the codecs and splitters needed with very little configuration it just works.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I also use MakeMKV. It can be a little flaky when you run more than one instance of the program, but other than that it's pretty bulletproof.

I use EAC3toGUI for Blu-Ray's. It's got great options for things like shutting down the pc when it's finished, and uses multiple drives to speed things up. I find it almost as simple as going to ISO with AndDVD. (almost)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
i generally rip to video_ts for movies using dvd fad decryptor and use make mkv to rip tv series, only becuase the metadata scrapers seem to like the episodes as individual mkv.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
you can actually set up both via plugin to rip automatically from the media center interface. I was going to set mine up this weekend if its a washout.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
makemkv. Love it for dvd's.

·
Registered
620 Posts
For me, the absolute simplest way to do this is use MakeMKV. It's simple, very fast as was free at one point. The latest version tells me that it's a free trial so I'm gonna have to find the $$ in the budget to register it after the trial period expires if I decide to keep it.

That being said, it's super simple to use and I've yet to find something that it would rip. The ONLY problem I've encountered is that TMT3 doesn't always like to play the ripped MKV files. I think there is a patch out there for that now but I haven't installed it yet.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo /forum/post/18301788

If they need to be MKV, I would use MakeMKV, but personally I just rip my standard DVDs as they already are - video_ts, etc (using DVDShrink or DVDFab). I don't use WMC but I can't imagine it won't play them. I'm pretty sure you can't do menus in MKV containers.

What software do you use to play them? Will MPC HC play from Video_TS Folders?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olisito /forum/post/18301746

Hello all,

I've been trying to find what other software out there is people using. I want to convert my DVD to .MKV files so I can view them in WMC + MediaBrowser.

I can understand different people have different preferences for media backup and playback.

What I fail to understand is why backup DVDs in anything other than its native format when playback is through WMC. What would be the advantage in using the MKV container that the DVD folder format would not provide?

WMC plays DVDs natively from the hard drive when backed up to its native format. Why try to go around it?

I would suggest trying folder format if you have not already done so.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/18304046

I can understand different people have different preferences for media backup and playback.

What I fail to understand is why backup DVDs in anything other than its native format when playback is through WMC. What would be the advantage in using the MKV container that the DVD folder format would not provide?

WMC plays DVDs natively from the hard drive when backed up to its native format. Why try to go around it?

I would suggest trying folder format if you have not already done so.

Only advantage to MKV is that it has less overhead, it takes up less space. I agree with you because of the ease of use. When you go MKV you lose chapter control from what I understand. Not sure if that is true if you are playing them with MPC HC or not. Maybe someone else can answer that. I have been having all sorts of issues with playing MPEG2 content in MPC HC on my HTPC. It is quite weird. I posted a thread about it but I still have the problem. My desktop machine does not have the same issue and that is jittery playback. My desktop is x64 Win 7 and it plays SD MKV's in MPC HC perfectly. My HTPC x86 machine plays all MPEG2 content jittery in MPC HC no matter what format I use, MKV, M2TS, or TS. I have yet to be able to figure it out so I play SD using WMC and HD MKV with MPC HC.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...148&highlight=

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I rip standard DVDs (and Blurays) all to mkv because I just want the movie and nothing else. I don't care about chapters, don't care about "extra" content, don't care about menu's, don't care about subtitles and 8 different audio tracks.

All I want is the movie, main audio track and any forced subtitles. When we play the movie it just starts.

To rip all that other stuff and still be bothered by the menus, FBI warning, previews and all that garbage is just a waste of my time and disk space.

That's my reason anyway.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 /forum/post/18304395

I rip standard DVDs (and Blurays) all to mkv because I just want the movie and nothing else. I don't care about chapters, don't care about "extra" content, don't care about menu's, don't care about subtitles and 8 different audio tracks.

All I want is the movie, main audio track and any forced subtitles. When we play the movie it just starts.

To rip all that other stuff and still be bothered by the menus, FBI warning, previews and all that garbage is just a waste of my time and disk space.

That's my reason anyway.

If you rip to ts folders, you can take out all that extra stuff as well.

I gave up on mkv after I tested many br players and none of them could play my mkv or had trouble with almost all of them. If I have to use one file, I'll go mpeg...

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
In any case, for me it's simple. Couple button clicks and I'm done. Move them to my rips folder and they show up in Media Browser ready to play.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 /forum/post/18304192

Only advantage to MKV is that it has less overhead, it takes up less space.]

How would it take up less space? Unless you are compressing which can be done with native format too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 /forum/post/18304395

That's my reason anyway.

umm....not an advantage over native format.

DVD (as well as BD) has that in many rippers and similarly it takes only a couple of clicks.

DVD - DVD Shrink, DVD Fab

BD - TSMuxer, DVD Fab

DVD Shrink (one of the best around) will allow you to rip main movie tracks and/or whatever else you described.

With DVD Shrink, you can even choose multiple titles without menus or extras. For instance, some movies have gag reels (usually a few minutes long), so when I back up I choose the main movie title and add the gag reel title to it (either before it or after it).

It can also combine split movies into one title.

eg. LOTR EE comes with the movie split in two separate discs. I backed up each movie into one folder with the main title from both discs in each folder.

Now when I play it, I have to select only the one movie title from MB.

The above is all with reference to playback in Windows Media Center in XP, Vista or 7, it is applicable to all 3 OSs.

Anyway, to each his own. Different people have had success and failures with each method so whatever works is good in the end.

For OP, native format is an option to try out if mkv doesn't work out.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/18304648

Anyway, to each his own. Different people have had success and failures with each method so whatever works is good in the end.

For OP, native format is an option to try out if mkv doesn't work out.

Yep. In no way am I saying mkv is the best format or that MakeMKV is the best tool. I tried several options including ripping directly video_ts file. Also tried DVDFab and didn't like it as well as AnyDVD. For me MakeMKV is simple and does both DVD and Bluray formats equally well with no extra software or cost. Now when it goes to a pay model I'll have to evaluate my options again at that time. As it looks now it may still be cheaper then the other solutions.

I'll check out the software you mention though, always looking for new and better things.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts