AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I've got a couple TB of DVDs (300+ so far) so I've been ripping a while.

My SOP is to rip movies with DVD Shrink to the local drive on my workstation and copy them to the server when done (DVD Shrink takes forever to rip directly over the network
) Asside from the inconvenience of the extra copy step, this works fine.

For show discs, which have multiple episodes and much less "waste", I used DVD Decrypter directly to the network drive.

Well recently I filled up my server (PC with RAID-5 array on a 3ware card) and have started ripping to my ReadyNAS X6 (3x 500GB at the moment). Well I was greeted with the same slow ripping as DVD Shrink (a little investigation with Ethereal and it seems DVD Decrypter waits for the ACKs before sending the next chunk while Windows Explorer sends a bunch of chunks in a row)

So that's how I got to where I am now, I broke down and figured I'd give DVDFab Decrypter a try. Fortunately it seems to behave much more like explorer and rips are acceptably fast with it.

As a side effect of trying DVDFab D I think I've resolved a mysterious issue I'd been having with some of my rips (Bandai discs). With them and DVD Decrypter, FFW/RW skipping are disabled and whenever the player (SageTV or Theatertek) passes a chapter mark, the play time would return to 0 and the movie kept playing. Originally I chalked it up to weird authoring of the disc, but after ripping one with DVDFab, I've found that it works right that way, so it appears DVD Decrypter is not handling something odd in these discs. Playing these in Zoomplayer, it says "Menu" in the status bar even when in one of the main Titles

So here's where we get to the part about it driving me up the wall:

DVD Shrink, great, but painfully slow ripping directly to the network.

DVD Decrypter, painfully slow ripping to the NAS, and can't handle some DVDs correctly (not copy protection I'm pretty sure).

DVDFab, WTF is with it making directories I didn't tell it to? Why can't it put the rip where I told it to like a normal program!!!!!!

So here's what I'm looking for:

How do you get DVDFab Decrypter to NOT make the freaking Fulldisc/ folders? I don't want to have to move the rip because the program thinks it's smarter than me.

Anybody have an idea what's "wrong" with the DVD Decrypter rips or how to fix it?

Is there a way to make DVD Shrink/DVD Decrypter rip over the network at a reasonable speed?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I know you are probably more versed in this stuff than me but since DVD Decryptor is no longer supported, I know it can't handle some of the newer discs and even does some strange stuff with older ones. DVDFab Decrypter supposedly started where DVD Decryptor left off. I have been using Ripit4me and it handles some of the newer discs and does a great job. It uses combination of couple of programs including DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink and has good support.

I have never been able to get good performance on ripping over the network with DVDDecryptor.

Haven't really noticed the directory thing with DVDFab, however it is a stripped down version of the pay one I believe.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I would also suggest buying AnyDVD.

Try the free trial first to see if it suits you.

Once AnyDVD is installed in the systray, you can use any file manager to file copy the VIDEO_TS folder from an inserted DVD, such as Explorer, Total Commander, or FreeCommander, and probably your own scripts. No dedicated ripper is needed. Inserted DvDs are seen as free and clear by all programs.

You may also want to try DVDFabDecrypter 2.9.8.3 rather than the current 3.x series. It is cleaner and handles everything I've tried, and is faster than the 3.x series.

Also, send complaints to the DVDFab developers- they have had issues with their directory path algorithms all along.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it's not copy protection (AnyDVD reports nothing but CSS).

And actually I think it's just borked authoring I thought it was DVDFab that fixed it, but I just tried a disc that I know is "broken" and neither AnyDVD nor DVDFab ripped it differently. Looks like they just authored the whole disc in a menu.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/0

Well it's not copy protection (AnyDVD reports nothing but CSS).

And actually I think it's just borked authoring I thought it was DVDFab that fixed it, but I just tried a disc that I know is "broken" and neither AnyDVD nor DVDFab ripped it differently. Looks like they just authored the whole disc in a menu.

What disc is it? Perhaps someone else can try it on another original and report back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.