AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newb. Let me admit that before i begin.

I apologize if this isn't in the right section. I wish not to anger anyone--i just could only find a hd-dvd software section, in addition to a blu-ray software section.

I'm a fairly new member to the HTPC Enthusiast crowd. I'm not new to consuming media on a PC, i've done it for years. However, i am new to the HTPC crowd. I recently built the following machine:

ASUS p7h55-m Pro

Core i3-530

2GB DDR3

Sapphire Radeon 5550

Dual HP2509 25 inch monitors -- i usually game and surf while i watch.

Blu-ray Reader

3x2tb WD Caviar Greens

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I've been reading about players, media centers, etc. for the past few months. I have about 100 dvds id like to rip, and i'd like to do it in a way that retains as much quality as possible. I've been using DVDDecrypter to copy the files from the dvd to my hard disk(s), and have used various media players for playback.

In general, i switch back and forth between Windows 7 Media Center, a Showmix skinned verison of XBMC, and VLC. However, upon reading about TMT3 and it's "SimHD" plugin, i'd like to try it out. It's just that i can't find a painless way to playback a folder in TMT3. If there's a better way to up-scale/convert/play dvd files to 1080p then i must be missing something. I've read the FFDShow guide to upconverting dvd's, but the language was completely alien to me, and for the settings i managed to change correctly, i didn't see much of a difference in the end.

So:

What's methods can be used to rip DVDs without losing quality, and what is the best method to playback these files and up-convert/up-scale them? Is TMT3's SimHD worth the trouble?

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
...I have about 100 dvds id like to rip, and i'd like to do it in a way that retains as much quality as possible. I've been using DVDDecrypter to copy the files from the dvd to my hard disk(s), and have used various media players for playback.

It will never get better than that, assuming you aren't using additional compression when copying them. Currently I'm partial to 64 bit Media Player Classic HC for playback.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy /forum/post/19506111

It will never get better than that, assuming you aren't using additional compression when copying them. Currently I'm partial to 64 bit Media Player Classic HC for playback.

I'm sorry, MPC HC? Whats the HC part stand for? Personally, i've always enjoyed the more remote/couch frendly front ends. MPC was ugly last time i used it. ;(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts