AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First issue:

I'm almost done ripping all my DVDs to hard drive (almost 200 of them) using MyMovies and AnyDVD HD. I ripped them all to VIDEO_TS and they take up about 8gb per movie. I did this to maintain the full movie since I wasn't really sure if I would want the menus and such or not but, what I now realize is that, all the annoying pre menu advertisements and previews are still there. Is it possible to remove that stuff now that I've ripped the movie or would I have to go back and rip all of them a second time? I have also tried Handbrake and DVD43 and just downloaded DVDFab to try. DVDFab seems great but, using the freeware version, I wonder if it will do what I need. I think I'd like to keep the chapter select menus just get rid of all the excess stuff.

Second Issue:

Having almost finished with the movies, I'm now looking forward to getting my TV series ripped. I've seen some posts about the topic but, I'm confused as to how to even start. Again, I have a few different tools available to me to rip them but at the moment, I'm not sure the best way to approach it. I guess, ripping each episode to AVI would be good and make things easier for cataloging in either MyMovies or MediaBrowser but, I took a look at trying to do this and just ended up confused. Most of the posts I've found about the topic covers how to set up the folder structure in MyMovies and MB but, none really show how to actually rip them. I've got a lot of series on DVD each series several season. I'm looking at another 200 discs or so to burn. I'd like to get it right the first time so I don't have to do this a second time.

Thanks for the help. I looked at every post title in this subforum and nothing jumped out at me that would make me think this specific area has been covered. Sorry f I missed any glaringly obvious info.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
anydvd can have it start on the main menu or just start the movie. I prefer the menu then you never even see the crap at the beginning and can start it or do what you want. you are gonna have to rerip them all though pretty sure.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've "re-ripped" video_ts folders using DVD Shrink before and I'd bet that DVD Fab could do the same thing. That is, I've ripped an entire DVD to a video_ts folder and then used dvd shrink to open up that video_ts folder and rip out just the main title. I've only ever done this to get just the movie and no menus but I'm pretty sure that DVD Shrink and DVD Fab treat DVD discs and video_ts folders, on a hard drive, the same. So, you probably don't have to break out the discs again and that makes the process quite a bit faster.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The good news is you don't have to re rip them from the DVD disc. Download a copy of DVD Shrink. Use it to open the folders that you have already ripped (they are already decrypted) and make a new copy with just the main movie. Don't use any compression and it will take just a few minutes. Delete the full disc copy. This should save you a couple of GB per movie.

BB

edit mslide was faster because I tried it first to make sure that DVD Shrink works like we said. It does!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have the DVD folders start with the menu. AnyDVD, DVD Shrink and DVD FAB all do this. I kick myself for not doing this from the very beginning, but it is easy to re-rip the files on HD.

For movies with only a feature (and there's quite a few that have simply, say, the trailer + feature) I will often rip just the main feature.

I use DVDFab pretty extensively to also rip individual episodes out of TV discs. I own perhaps 150+ TV discs. I would say 2/3rds of mine are barebones releases... mainly just the episodes. For these I pull the individual episodes out.

For X-files, I did something special. I pulled out all the 64 or so Conspiracy episodes and numbered them up special.

Quote:
Season 1- Pilot, Deep Throat, Conduit, Fallen Angel, E.B.E., The Erlenmeyer Flask

Season 2- Little Green Men, Duane Barry, Ascension, One Breath, Colony, End Game, Anasazi

Season 3- The Blessing Way, Paper Clip, Nisei, 731, Piper Maru, Apocryphca, Jose Chung's "From Outer Space", Talitha Cumi

Season 4- Herrenvolk, Tunguska, Terma, Memento Mori, Tempus Fugit, Max, Zero Sum, Gethsemane

Season 5- Redux, Redux 2, Unusual Suspects, Christmas Carol, Emily, Patient X, The Red and the Black, The End

Feature: Fight The Future

Season 6- The Beginning, S.R. 819, Two Fathers, One Son, The Unnatural, Biogenesis

Season 7- The Sixth Extinction, The 6th Extinction 2- Amor Fati, Sein Und Zeit, Closure, En Ami, Requiem

Season 8- Within, Without, Per Manum, This Is Not Happening, Deadalive, Three Words, Essence, Existance

Season 9- Nothin Important Happened Today, NIHT part 2, Trust No 1, Providence, Provinance, William, The Truth 1 and 2.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help. DVDFab and DVD Shrink seem to be the easiest to use for the regular movies I've already burned. I guess the two are pretty much interchangeable. Now to figure out the shows. I think I have it pretty much just have to figure out how to get rid of the subtitles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.