Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I started writing this last night when my dogs (chocolate and yellow Lab)ran into my office at mach 6 and busted a leg off my desk. My 21" Sony and 15" NEC LCD when crashing to the floor together. Amazingly everything (with the exception of the wall) came out relatively unscathed and functioning.....

Anyway, on to my query.

I've been storing my ripped movies and music on my main PC workstation in my office. My needs have lead me to go to a dedicated file server/pvr that I could leave on 24/7. I access my music from work and such so I didnt want to leave my main PC on all the time. It's super quiet and I wanted to limit the number of HDD's in it so it'd run cooler and quieter. Anyway, enough rambling.

My file server is downstairs in a rack with no monitor attached. I simply use RDC to do any kind of maintenance and schedule recordings. So, to backup my DVD's onto the HDD, I do it from my main workstation upstairs across the network. The thing is that this had slowed down the rip time from around 12-15 minutes per DVD to about 35 minutes. This calculates out to about 2 MB/sec which I think is a little slow.

What's my network setup you ask?

Dlink 614+ 100 Mb swtich + wi-fi

SMC 100 Mb switch

All PC's are plugged into the SMC switch and are using static IP's

Workstation WinXP Pro / Athlon XP2000+/1 GB

File Server WinXP pro / Athlon 1200/512 MB

Is there something I can do with my setup to speed up the throughput? The dlink is about 40 feet (cable length) from the smc switch and only provides the uplink line. This cant be changed.

Thanks in advance guys,

Wes

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I had similarly bad performance when trying to use a Dlink 100mbit switch below an SMC router.

The switch by itself or the router by itself were both able to do 10mb+/sec but when used together it was barely 3-4mb/sec.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jesse,

Just to confirm we're on the same page, my setup is like this:

Internet > Dlink "router + Wifi" > SMC Switch > Server, workstation and HTPC.

Maybe I'll see how the SMC switch functions when disconnected from the "router".

Wes

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'm using Internet > 3Com "router + wifi" > "dlink router" > cheap compusa 5 port switch > server, desktop, htpc.

Without the cheap compusa switch (~$30 I think) I was getting horrid performance. :( Bad combination of another name brand swich and the dlink is my guess. Sucks this happens, doesn't it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.