AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. this is all a bit confusing here. First things first. Everything I have works. So I'm not stuck. I slaughter the small animal fortnightly to the Theater Gods to keep it that way.

That said. I can't help this nagging feeling that..

A- I'm not doing something right.

B- I just don't understand the particular nuances

Here's the jist.

WHS in the basement serving ISO files to..

HTPC laptop (Boxee) in the Bedroom.

WDTV-Live and Xbox in the Living room through the HDMI's to the Panny Plasma or optical out to the Onkyo 702 when we feel like having it on.

Now. All my ISO's are created using AnyDVD's "Rip to Image" function. My confusion comes from the 50 million different ways I see people accomplishing this same task. Using 20 different programs into as many different formats.

Why? What am I missing out on my not ripping to MKV's or other formats? What is there to be gained by using these other methods?

Or is it as I suspect and I'm just way overthinking this and since what I have is working I really need to just sit back, stop worrying and enjoy my movies?

·
Registered
11,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakwing /forum/post/19525343

Ok.. this is all a bit confusing here. First things first. Everything I have works. So I'm not stuck. I slaughter the small animal fortnightly to the Theater Gods to keep it that way.

That said. I can't help this nagging feeling that..

A- I'm not doing something right.

B- I just don't understand the particular nuances

Here's the jist.

WHS in the basement serving ISO files to..

HTPC laptop (Boxee) in the Bedroom.

WDTV-Live and Xbox in the Living room through the HDMI's to the Panny Plasma or optical out to the Onkyo 702 when we feel like having it on.

Now. All my ISO's are created using AnyDVD's "Rip to Image" function. My confusion comes from the 50 million different ways I see people accomplishing this same task. Using 20 different programs into as many different formats.

Why? What am I missing out on my not ripping to MKV's or other formats? What is there to be gained by using these other methods?

Or is it as I suspect and I'm just way overthinking this and since what I have is working I really need to just sit back, stop worrying and enjoy my movies?

It all comes down to space and playback BW. The .ISO you're ripping is the entire disc; movie, all audios, all subs, menus, extras, etc. If that's what you want, no problem; it's as big as a ripped file can get.

The reason people use other programs is to maybe just rip only the movie, and the audio they want...or, in the case of using a container like mkv...it reduces the file size (without losing PQ).

Like you said...a million ways to skin it. If what you're doing works for you, don't worry about it. But it may be that your .ISO is like 40G, and you'd rather just have the movie...in which case, you might be able to save 5, 10, 15G. Spread out over a catalog of movies, that adds up to real space.

CD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts