AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm obsessed with finding a product on the market that will connect via firewire to my Mits. TV to play back DVDs in the digital domain. Lately I've seen a couple of DVD-Rom drives with Firewire outputs, one by QPS, one by Sony Vaio, that both mention "i-Link" in their product descriptions, which makes me think they might be compatible with TVs simply because some brands use the i-Link designation as well. However, something has to control the DVD functions, which the QPS can do because it's also usable as a standalone player. However, it looks an awful lot it's an either/or situation, such that you can use it either as a DVD-Rom drive or a dvd player. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this.

One last tidbit: I currently own a Que! (QPS) combo-drive that connects via firewire, and the one time I connected it to my TV nothing happened. I have heard that at demostrations Mac computers have been connected to Mits. TVs, but I've never heard what means is necessary to get one to talk to the other.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
i-link is a Sony term for 1394 standard. Apple calls it "Firewire".

DVD-ROM's with 1394 will do just fine, especially after you add a little enclosure called "computer", be it Mac or PC, and connect video output of the computer to your TV :D

Seriosly speaking, dvd-rom's use 1394 to transfer data to the compters, not to display video signal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>> Seriosly speaking, dvd-rom's use 1394 to transfer data to the compters, not to display video signal.

When was I talking about a video signal? That would be analog.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
The Firewire port is there to provide interface from DVD-ROM to Computer instead of using ATA interface. There is also USB2.0 for DVD-ROMs. These ports transfer totally different data than your TV would expect. Just because it has a firewire port, doesn't mean it is usable on any device.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>> The Firewire port is there to provide interface from DVD-ROM to Computer instead of using ATA interface. There is also USB2.0 for DVD-ROMs. These ports transfer totally different data than your TV would expect. Just because it has a firewire port, doesn't mean it is usable on any device.

I guess I wasn't being clear. DVDs have data in the form of MPEG2 on them, and the Mits. TVs with built in HD do MPEG2 decoding. So the only issue is what it takes to get the DVD drive to "talk" to the TV, which is the part I don't really have a handle on. I'm thinking since the TV uses HAVi protocol, it's expecting to see a device with that on it. But since there's no HAVi software that I know of for computers, I wonder how Mitsubishi uses Apple laptops for demos.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
The firewire port on the regular DVD-ROM will only accept standard disc access command to read binary data off the specific sector/track on the disc. It is the OS in the computer to deside what files are on the DVD disc and what to do with them (i.e. play back MPEG2 file through DVD playback software). You will need a much more intelligent DVD-ROM to do what you described, i.e. send back the MPEG2 file stream over firewire port (with proper C5 encrpytion for copyright protection). I don't think such thing exists yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.