AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested in this model, I just purchased mine on line from eCost. They had by far the lowest price but had no stars (reviews) next to their name - I guess they are new. Anyway, I took the risk and not only did they have it in stock (unlike the first three that I spoke with), I received it in three days!

BTW, I am in no way affiliated with these guys - I just think that it is worth the mention when an on-line retailer delivers as promised!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Main thing, does it play DVD-Rs by non-major manufacturers, general cheapies? :eek:

And eCost.com is a big popular company, they're not obscure or new or anything. Ordered from them plenty of times.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For those who own the RP91... Why did you purchase it versus the Kenwood 5700, Toshiba 5700 or 9200 or Philips 962? Looking for opinions as I have to make a new purchase to go with my soon to be in Hitachi 5500. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I purchased it because of the auto-scaling of non-anamorphic (I have a lock in full televsion).

This has consistantly had the best reviews of the auto-scaling DVD players.

Upgrading from Toshiba 6200 for the DVD-Audio, scaling, and hopefully a crisper picture.

P.S. ecost shows more came in to stock today

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The Kenwood and Phillips weren't out yet. Though, I'm looking into replacing my EAD, as it's been in the shop for going on 5 months with not alot of hope for a resolution. The Kenwood or one of the new Denons are the leading contenders right now. But, the Denons are still largely unproven and the Kenwoods minor ringing of the pre-production model pointed out in the shootout still has me concerned. So, far I haven't been able to find any retailer that carries any of these, so I can't check it out in a store, and can't return special orders if dissatisfied.

Didn't consider the 9200 because I've owned several Toshibas including the 9100 and haven't been satisfied with their performance. Plus the gang of equipment reviewers at Secrets has pointed out on several occasions that the 9200 has sub-par video performance, and that was good enough for me. Even though the DVD-audio is supposed to be top-notch, DVD-A isn't my top priority in a player.

Those same reviewers have said on numerous occasion that the RP91 has near reference video performance outside of the poor deinterlacing. And, my observations and comparisons with the EAD (a more established "reference" player) supports what I've heard. Still the deinterlacing leaves much to be desired, though, on most dvds it isn't terribly obvious.

Chad

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Kenwood nor the Toshiba 5700 wasn't out yet when I bought mine. I don't remember exactly when I got it, but it had just come out about a month earlier. I also got mine from ecost. I have been extemely pleased with its performance. I have played about 10 cd-recordable.com cheapies and one Apple brand DVD-R disk. It plays the cd-recordable with a few glitches, and the Apple was flawless.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I too had the SD6200, and the picture of the RP91 is far above the Toshiba. I am feeding it into my AE100 projector and the colors, crispness and picture are so much better. Well worth the upgrade, plus add DTS and DVD-Audio.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Just compared the RP91 I got at ecost.com to my "old" Pioneer DV-05. I like the Pioneer better. Check the classified's.
I just made the same swap, but I'm keeping the RP91. I don't see a big improvement in image quality, but getting rid of the DV-05's loud transport noise is a major relief.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.