AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What units can I actually play a DVD-RW disk in? Is there a list of drives that are currently compatable with this particular format? I have seen long lists of DVD-R drives and DVD+RW, but not DVD-RW. Thanx.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi,

Pioneer published one, in Japanese, for the Japanese market:

http://www.pioneer.co.jp/dvdld/gokansei.html

This list is of course for DVD-R and DVD-RW recorded in Video Mode. A DVD-RW in VR Mode will only play in those decks that have an "RW compatible" logo on the front.

The interesting thing to note is that -RW, according to the list, play in 80% of those decks that can also play -R discs. Contrary to what some other AVS members have written, -RW discs are widely compatible. Reports from my buyers also suggest that.

Of course the list is biased towards Pioneer decks, which are more friendly than others on average to these discs. Also, i suspect the base of DVD players in Japan is of much higher average quality, and a lot less diversified than what you have in North America. That would result in lower compatibility rates outside of Japan.

Best wishes,

Nicolas

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. That is a pretty big list. This defintely affects my purchaing decision for either getting the DMR-E20 or the DVR-7000. I was pondering on getting drive for the pc first that was a firewired drive, and QUE has both the panasonic version which does RAM, and the Pioneer version which does RW. The RW version is more expensive, but probably more worthwhile now that I know this. Thanx again for the information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.