AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some good information about what software tools to use to burn DVD's.

Now the question is which DVD hardware is best to buy? DVD -RW, DVD +RW or DVD +-RW?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
63 Posts
i just love my plextor 708A! overkill to some degree, but tops and quite! well supported by fans and company!

·
Registered
105 Posts
As someone said, get a dual burner. It will do most everything, but beware of cheap media being difficult to burn.

Heck, if you have $100 to blow, go to staples and get the Magic I/O. I have not heard too much bad stuff about it. If you want to spend a bit more for DVD-RAM, then the LG series is good. I think Best Buy had the Lite On for $70 after rebate last week.

Beware of what is advertised as speeds. The Magic I/O above is an 8x Dual Burner. 8x for DVD+R 4X for DVD-R and I forget if DVD+RW is 4X or 2.4X.

DVD-RW might be as high as 4X as well.

In general, DVD + formats have faster burn rates since it was designed AFTER DVD -. I think the DVD + format has not been entirely blessed by the DVD committee. On the lighter side, most cheap DVD players will play all the DVD +/- formats. Older DVD players are more picky. Sort of like the CD-R and CD-RWs not playing in car stereo systems.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.