AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was at Staples picking up some on-sale Sony media (50 packs of Made in Japan -R/+R for $19.94, 25 pack of Made in Taiwan DVD-RW/+RW for $14.94), I realized something:

In the 2 1/2 years that my Philips 985 was still working, I only had one DVD+RW disc fail on me.

Since December, when I picked up my Sony RDR-HX900, I've already had two DVD-RW discs fail on me. That's one reason why I was in Staples, to pick up some more.

That's despite the fact that someone mentioned that +RW was more prone to failure, since the machine has to write more often to +RW than with -RW.

Is anybody else having an unusually high failure rate with DVD-RW's?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've heard that knock on CD-RW as well as DVD-RW. So far can't recall any -Rw failures. Used them as an extra backup with my 'Home Video'(dubbing VHS tapes of family events to DVD) projects. I'd save to -R and -RW both in VR and Video Mode.

I'm about to redo the projects(now that I found TDA works well on my computer). I'm using the AVT8710 enhancer as I'm not satisfied with the results of the initial dubs done in both SP and LP (heck, they're only VHS quality).

-RW comes in handy as they can be erased and used again. I also use it on my computer with Roxio's 'Drag to Disc' app so that I'm ready to save doc's. etc very quickly in addition to saving my work in 'My Documents'.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg
..despite the fact that someone mentioned that +RW was more prone to failure, since the machine has to write more often to +RW than with -RW.

Is anybody else having an unusually high failure rate with DVD-RW's?
After working with DVD-RAM, +RW and -RW for several years, my experience has been that -RW takes top honors for the highest failure rate.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWld
After working with DVD-RAM, +RW and -RW for several years, my experience has been that -RW takes top honors for the highest failure rate.
I have had a very strange journey with DVD-RW. Over the past year I have "lost" over half the DVD-RW I bought (25 pk of Ritek). The failure rate for the rest seemed to accelerate over the last few months and I assumed it was a physical failure due to rewrites. I have recently discovered my failures were not physical at all but due to a software issue that corrupts the disk in such a way as to make it unusable. I don't know what the problem source is for sure, but I am strongly leaning towards Nero InCD. When it was installed, it was a poison for me. Even though I uninstalled it, it still leaves pieces of itself scattered in Windows system directories.

I began to suspect a software issue when my failure rate went to 100% -- every -RW disk failed upon the first rewrite. My LiteON drive wouldn't load them once corrupted, my LG drive would load them but report a corrupted read-only disk. To make a long story short, I installed copy of the latest bug-release of Nero InCD (they come out monthly) in a fresh install of Win XP and found that I could do a long format of the corrupted -RW to UDF 2 which recovered the disk and made it usable again. Fortunately, I kept a lot of those "corrupted" -RW disks and just put them aside in a cake-box. My recovery rate has been 100%.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.