AVS Forum banner

Dvd Server?

2111 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  justtaint
Ok, I will apologize in advance for I am sure this has been covered, but I have searched and can't find any info about this, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, as I must be searching using the wrong terms or something.

My question here is: I currently am using an Ecient Fireball DVDM-100 connected to 2 Sony 400 disc dvd players to manage my dvd collection.

What I would like to do is know if the following is possible: Link a couple of 1TB or whatever hardrives in an external case, rip all my dvds to the harddrives, and then run them through something to connect to the tv with a menu of sorts similiar to what my Escient uses.

Hope that made sense, and thanks in advance
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
I don't know what the menu of the Escient is like but most of the popular players in this area can do what you're asking for. I use XBMC (see my signature).
XBMC rocks. Hands-down the best media player out there.

But if you like the plug and play aspect of the Escient then take a look at their new Vision line. It does exactly what you've described. And I think they just found a way around the legal issue of ripping the DVDs where they will rip the DVD but retain the copy protection and then the player will be able to play the file from the server.
So XBMC seems like it is exactly what i am looking for. I already have a modded xbox that i can dig out of the closet (modded it to play some emulators).

My only remaining questions before i dive into this and really try to figure it all out are:

I assume i would do the following: rip my dvd's into iso's onto 1 or more harddrives; network these, and run them off the xbox. It will pass the full audio through the network to the xbmc correct, assuming i get the HD connection cables for the xbox?

Lastly, is there any type of install disc or something i could burn to easily install the xbmc to the xbox (if it matters, the mod chip i have installed is the SmartXX)?

Oh, and is there any size limitations for the drives to be connected?

Thanks.
Everything you need to know about XBMC is in the online manual (link below). But the basic process is download the latest version of XBMC (go to the very first post in the XBMC topic in this forum for a link), FTP into your box, and then copy the XBMC folder that you downloaded onto your box. By doing that you can launch XBMC as an application on the box. If you want XBMC to launch upon bootup then follow the instruction from the online manual (under installing XBMC). You can either add your network shares from within XBMC or edit the sources.xml file (look under the Sharing Media section of the online manual).

Poke around in the manual - it's not difficult to get this up and running if you've already got the modded Xbox. If you run into road block feel free to post here or PM me and I'll help you out.

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/..._Online_Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by birch97 /forum/post/12861187

So XBMC seems like it is exactly what i am looking for. I already have a modded xbox that i can dig out of the closet (modded it to play some emulators).

My only remaining questions before i dive into this and really try to figure it all out are:

I assume i would do the following: rip my dvd's into iso's onto 1 or more harddrives; network these, and run them off the xbox. It will pass the full audio through the network to the xbmc correct, assuming i get the HD connection cables for the xbox?

Lastly, is there any type of install disc or something i could burn to easily install the xbmc to the xbox (if it matters, the mod chip i have installed is the SmartXX)?

Oh, and is there any size limitations for the drives to be connected?

Thanks.

XBMC will play the ISOs directly or even Video_TS folders. It will pass full audio if you have the advance or hd pack (you want the hd pack). There are a few installer discs around but I'd recommend just getting the latest dl of XBMC from the T3CH website ( http://t3ch.yi.se/ ) and use FTP to it using whatever dashboard you are using and just transfer the files over into your Apps folder. I believe the size limitation is 750gb since that's the largest drive available for IDE (last time I checked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule /forum/post/12862672

I'd recommend just getting the latest dl of XBMC from the T3CH website ( http://t3ch.yi.se/ ) .

Holy crap. since when has it been OK for him to link directly to that stuff???? It's always been so cloak & dagger before. No more Usenet, no more mIRC'ing to get a password to an ftp. No more sky tracking. FTW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack /forum/post/12866483

Holy crap. since when has it been OK for him to link directly to that stuff???? It's always been so cloak & dagger before. No more Usenet, no more mIRC'ing to get a password to an ftp. No more sky tracking. FTW?

Someone may want to correct me here, but the XBMC software is not the program in question. The software in question is the softmod packages that allow installation onto an XBox. It is this software that still requires the "cloak & dagger" (I know, I just went through it 2 nights ago...what a pain.). Anyway, if I'm correct, a hardware modded XBox allows the ability to install other Bios and as a result, allows FTP and installation of XBMC. At least, that is how I understand it.

By the way, just recently delved into the world of XBMC and absolutely love it. Can't wait for the Linux Port to be completed. That will open up the world of HD playback.
Well I have a NTGR EVA8000 and it rocks as a DVD server. I have all my DVDs ripped to a couple of NAS, and I can play them over wifi and the UI is pretty snazzy.

here's my TV
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3knokat /forum/post/12870657

Well I have a NTGR EVA8000 and it rocks as a DVD server. I have all my DVDs ripped to a couple of NAS, and I can play them over wifi and the UI is pretty snazzy.

here's my TV

No offense man, but XBMC can run laps around anything Netgear puts out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3knokat /forum/post/12870657

here's my TV

I didn't know the interface had improved over the ones I see on YouTube. I'll have to check the EVA8000 out! I know that XBMC looks terrific, but the mod process looks complicated for a plug and play person (like me). The interface is drop dead gorgeous!
If you're still looking for an auto-installer, I've always had luck with a version called "Slayer's". I think its up to version 1.7. It will only work on an already modded Xbox (it wont softmod the xbox for you), but it has every option imaginable for software and formatting large hard drives.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.