AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be an easy question but it has me not understanding fully. I am backing up DVD's using DVD shrink. Now the DVD's I am backing up are normal movies. I am just backing up the actual movie, no menus or extras. I know that each DVD disc holds 4.7GB of data. However, when I back up the actual movie, the size of the backed up folder with the audio and video that DVD shrink makes is usually around 5-6GB. How and why does this happen? It appears that DVD Shrink is somehow adding data that was not there before. I would expect the backups to be the exact same size physically but they are not.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My average across the 146 DVD's I've ripped is 6.7GB for the whole disk, I back up EVERYTHING, though due to space constraints I'm likely to go back with DVD shrink and remove menu's and extra's now before I get 80% of the way through my 800disk collection and run out of space.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I thought DVDShrink was kind of obsolete now (as in newer releases won't even work with it anymore)? DVDFab6 has the same functionality...and I could have sworn the DVDShrink people said this one is the effective replacement.

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/17007441

I thought DVDShrink was kind of obsolete now (as in newer releases won't even work with it anymore)? DVDFab6 has the same functionality...and I could have sworn the DVDShrink people said this one is the effective replacement.

DVD shrink can't rip new DVD content due to new encription employed by some disks BUT it still works just fine if you have anyDVD or equivilant do the decrypting & just use the compression & structure functions.

Cheers,

Jiff

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've tried several and like the ease and options that DVD shrink provides, there are very few disks you'll run into that it cannot rip. As I recall the latest 007 was one. You can get the trial of AnyDVD and that'll take care of the encryption on newer disks though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
AnyDVD HD is a great program. When ripping DVD's, you don't need to individually set parameters for each rip. You do it once, and they all rip automatically like that. I have mine set to automatically strip previews and go straight to the title menu.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I have found that DVDFab6 has just about all the functionality of DVDshrink...even the free version.

Now, DVDshrink is still the best, but it has to be teamed with something like AnyDVD to work with newer discs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.