AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up a htpc to use with my Nec vt540 projector. I am using windvd and powerdvd. When displaying the Windows xp desktop I have the projector set up to perfectly cover my entire 120 inch 4x3 screen. A problem I am having is that when I play dvds in full screen mode many of them don't stretch horizontally all the way across the screen. Some dvds have a black border on the left, some on the right and some on both. Some dvds fit perfectly. Vertically they all fit perfectly.(4x3 material of course) This situation is the same with windvd and powerdvd. When I use a stand alone dvd player all dvds fit perfectly with no borders. Is there a solution to this problem ?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You may find that your TV is cropping the image slightly (overscan) and the HTPC is providing the full image and that on some discs they are not mastered to the exact edge of the full image (I have nticed this on some transfers)..

A solution to this is to use a player or front end with built in AR control to overscan the image slightly if it bugs you... For WinDVD or PowerDVD you can use YxY to provide AR control.

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
If you could supply the names of the discs and tell us what problems you see on which ones, others could check them on their own systems and report any problems they see.

To determine where the cropping is happening (on the disc, in the player, the software or the display device), you need to look carefully at the edges of the visible images and record what details are visible on which frames -- note the chapter and time as accurately as possible. Then compare your notes after you've looked at the same image in each of the variations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.