AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a DVD burner alongside my DVD player. I have been using the small 4-prong sound cable that plugs into my motherboard with TheaterTek as the player. It worked fine, passing through DTS and DD.

When I installed the burner I ended up with only one sound cable and one place to put it so I left the original DVD drive without a sound cable. But here's the twist. When I played a DVD in the original drive the DD 5.1 played with no problem. Obviously, the sound was going through the IDE cable and going out through the sound card to my receiver.

What am I possibly missing here? Are there two paths the spdif audio takes simultaneously if the audio cable is hooked up to the MB? Is XP deciding which one to use?

The reason I am asking is because the PC sound has never been nearly as good as various DVD standalone players I have tried. This makes me think that the PC sound might be much better if perhaps I had it setup better.

Jack

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
It hasn't been necessary to connect an audio cable to a ROM drive for years. Back when it was needed, it was only for music CD audio and had nothing to do with audio from a DVD movie.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.