AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the age old HCPC problem of stuttering coming back after many months of hassle free playing. I have WinXP with a Liteon 163 DVD drive (own channel, master, UDMA on), XP2400, 512MB and use Theatertek.

The system is quite clean and I have some of the services turned off as per the guide frequently posted here. This stutter usually doesn't happen for at least 15 minutes into the film, where all of a sudden the picture may freeze, the sound keeps running, then the picture zips along to catch back up with the sound. Restarting theatertek didn't help, though rebooting the PC did help a little.

However, I was by the PC last night when it was happening and at the point where it started to skip the DVD drive was giving the "shhhh shhhh" noise is does when you first put in a disc. I couldn't be sure but it sounded as if the dvd had spun down and the point of stutter was where it realised it had to spin back up again.

Also worth noting that before hand when the PC worked hassle free, the HDD LED would lightly blink all the way through a film but I didn't address this as it wasn't causing any problems. Now when the DVD's are stuttering the HDD LED is on solid.

Any ideas?

TIA :)

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
My Lite-on 163 does the same thing, but my Pioneer 106s does not, hence the LiteOn is not in the HTPC.

Jim

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim, I suppose that's as good as answer as any! :D

Mine wasn't doing it up until 2 weeks ago (though neither have I made any significant changes, just new catalysts installed).

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
sounds like the mechanism in the Liteon is starting to go. Give it a few more weeks of movie playing (constant spinning) and it will be dead.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Paul. On jim's advice I went straight to looking for a 106s which I found and bought :)

Oh well, no messing around this time at least!

Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.