AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting very interested in a HTPC. I was close to buying an expensive progressive stand alone DVD player. Does a stand alone have any advantage over a good HTPC DVD setup?

I am using a Sony-VW10HT LCD projector and a 120" Grayhawk screen.

Thank you.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't think there are any disadvantages. I made the jump from a top of the line sony to HTPC. Picture improved dramatically, sound is about the same...meaning no loss in quality at all. The only thing about the HTPC...sometimes...the picture stutters for the first 5 seconds of the movie....I haven't had much time to tweak..but even how it is now....it is worth the trade off for the incredible picture I am getting :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a JVC Progressive Scan and an HTPC. No comparison! The HTPC is incredible. My girlfriend came over when I was watching the SuperBit version of The 5th Element and asked it I was watching HBO HD.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I'm disabled besides that I am too lazy to want to change the HTPC one disc at a time

besides I have no room for a 500 + DVD rack for full or empy disc holders.

I have no wish to use the HTPC for DVD movies. Just surfing and playing games, believe me I have enough time on my hands

to do both. I watch a movie every night between 8-8:30 PM for 16 years now. I have my MsnTV in full/stretch every day on the HDTV, it takes up 17 inches of the 19" vertical and 32 inches of the 34" available width.

The only thing with MsnTV is it's in the S-Video jack, not component which my CPU will be in. When watching DVDs it reacts with the screens aspect ratio of each individual disc. If I didn't want what a computer can do, I already have a Home Theatre P.C. AKA Web Browser. HDTV screen that I am typing on keyboard and seeing words form on, from use of web browser AKA MsnTV formerally WebTV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.