AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have three of the mega (320 capacity) Case Logic CD/DVD cases full and bulging to the point where they will not even zip closed... I'm up to my ears in disks and need some new ideas.

One of my big problems is organizing such a large number in those Case Logic cases - rearranging would be too much of a hassle and hard to keep organized... I need a better way to catalog for quicker access to what I'm looking for.

I've done quite a bit of Google searching for high-capacity storage options but most of them are designed for use with jewel cases... I have no idea why anyone would want to store a thousand or more CD's and DVD's like that. Anyway, I don't want to and most of my jewel cases have been trashed long ago.

What I'd like is an easy-to-organize solution that also is relatively compact and doesn't look too bad. That or it could be built into a cabinet or something like that. I've considered building a custom cabinet also but need some ideas on how to safely house and organize the disks within it.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is a tough question because there really isn't an easy way of doing this. What I have done isn't perfect but it works for me. I have purchased 4 high capacity cases and divided them up alphabetically. this allows me to do in and reserve serveral pages for A, B, C, D... etc. in each case. In this way, I can be assured that when I have a new movie, there is a spot in the appropriate section where I can place it. And finding movies is easier (although bulky) as well. Every now and then I'll need to shuffle but thats not too bad. What would really be great is to have binders where you could insert DVD pages as needed. Then you could file alphabetically and simply add more pages as needed. Haven't found something like that yet but might move to it once I do. I'm a big nut about saving space so I take all my DVDs and keep them in cases.

Hope that helps. Yous sound like you have more DVDs than me.

Jadin

·
Registered
30 Posts
For my purposes, this is perfect. Thanks for the link and info.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those binder inserts are pretty nice and a step in the right direction. Thanks for the link. I agree finding large capacity binders will be the trick. I'll likely pick-up a few and see how well they work for me. They would be a good solution for my software disks if nothing else...

I'm still thinking a more comprehensive solution is needed for my large DVD collection... I'm thinking something that works like an old Dewey decimal library card catalog - or whatever the heck they were called! :)

I may have to build something...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Wakey thats exactly what I do. Im up to 500 dvd movies now :)

I use DVD Profiler to keep it all numbered and organized. Then I use Meedio to display my collection on screen. Matching numbers on screen to my dvd's so I can fetch them. Works great!

Thats untill 300gig HD's go below $100 each.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Chad, that's pretty sweet! I like the concept a lot - though I'd have to have a whole slew of 'em to fit all my DVD's. Wish they had a higher capacity model. Do you have one? That's the coolest case I've seen yet :cool:

Quote:
I use DVD Profiler to keep it all numbered and organized. Then I use Meedio to display my collection on screen. Matching numbers on screen to my dvd's so I can fetch them. Works great!
That's one of my leading contingency plans... I use DVD Collector but the idea would be the same. Doing it that way I wouldn't have to worry about alphabetizing - just assign a "location code" and enter it into DVD collector. I've been wanting to play with Meedio a little more and could use that as well...

Only problem is I'd still have piles of these binders stacking up... still not ideal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just a word of caution. I use to store my cds, and dvds that way. The only thing bad is that the cds/dvds began to stick to the plastic sheets. After a few years the cheap plastic was noticeable deteriorating and discolored. It was a huge pain in the ass to even get the movies out. I was worried about being able to remove the discs without damaging them. So maybe getting higher quality plastics, or moving the discs around inside everynow and then will prevent those issues. So I was screwed because I threw the cases away, and needed to something new to put movies in that wouldn't cost me and arm in a leg. Guess I was looking for an excuse to buy a dvd changer : ) As for my cds i ripped my music to mp3s, and store them on my large harddrive.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jjmd, that's very cool... though it costs roughly $1 per disk and with 1000 disks or so that would be a bit pricey.

For that cost it would almost make more sense to buy a HD array and rip all the disks.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I have seen something similar to those binder sleeves, however instead of being in a binder, they come in sheets of 4 with the box holding about 320 and the lid opening from the top. Looks like a trunk to stash old gear in.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
X, that looks a lot like what I was imagining with the "card catalog" approach.... I think that's the leading candidate! Thanks for the link.

Quote:
I have seen something similar to those binder sleeves, however instead of being in a binder, they come in sheets of 4 with the box holding about 320 and the lid opening from the top. Looks like a trunk to stash old gear in.
I've been looking for something like that... trick now is to find 'em. :)

Thanks guys, both sound like good options.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
@mnn1265:

They have em at my local computer store... haven't seen em anywhere else though :( They sure look pretty though, more like classy attaches... similar to those boxes people store photographic/proaudio equipment in.

Underneath my desk, lurks 4x240sleeve wallets, 2x320 sleeve wallets and a buncha stuff in jewel cases. Rather messy...

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Next time you're at your local store see if you can't find a brand-name or product name? That would be great! :D

thanks

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.