Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about done with the HT room build out. Just need the following:

1) Crown molding with inlayed rope light (next weekend)

2) Projector and drop down screen (next month $$)

3) DVD storage (as soon as I figure out how)

I built a false wall to enclose my TVs (3), Subs (3), equipment and front speakers. All is going great...but the wife says..."where do the DVDs go?"

Oops, forgot about storage.

What have you guys done for DVD storage that wont rattle and could, possibly be built into the walls?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Pioneer Elite 300DVD changer, boxes in the closet :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice, but not an option

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
If you're using a rack for any of your equipment, you could always use rackmounted DVD holders. It's not the cheapest option in the world, but it presents a nice, clean look. I am using five 5U DVD media holders , plus a 4U storage drawer (for my remotes, owner's manuals, spare cables, etc.) in a 5-29 Middle Atlantic Slim 5 rack with great success. I have my equipment in two other 5-29 racks, so it all goes together very nicely. Unfortunately, each DVD media holder (which holds about 28 DVDs) was about $75, and the rack itself ran about $200. Again, not cheap, but it can't be beat for a clean/flush look, and it's not a bad idea if you're already planning to rackmount other stuff.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well this is What I got yesterday. I picked up 3 of these at their Swedish Math sale (buy one get another @ 50% off). Now I can hold 210 DVD's (I have about 160 right now). Only problem is they are rather wide, this may be an issue, I have to see how they work vertically.

Another option which I thought was pretty slick was something like this . This unit I believe is meant to be mounted on the wall (that's the way they had it) but something like this could very easily be built between the studs in a room. Just a box with shelves and a door.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I believe CK Audio used one of the Bertby's, I could be wrong though.

At this point, all I have is a closet with shelves to store the movies, although I will be adding either secondary risers in the shelves to allow two rows of DVD's per shelf, one higher than the other, or making some sort of dividers so that I can have them horizontally, in rows (stacked style).

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a wall in my basement HT directly under the center beam. It uses 2x6 studs instead if 2x4. I have an area about 30 inches wide with shelves built into the wall. I used 2x6 boards for shelves for that sturdy look. I have 6 shelves and each shelf holds an average of 45 DVDs. The wall on the other side is made of 1x6 paneling installed at a 45 degree angle, so is pretty solid for the expanse. I installed a can light in the ceiling with a spot shining on the DVD's. My side surround, crossed over at 80hz, is mounted next to the shelves, and I haven't had any trouble with any rattles.

This was originally an area for holding Q sticks. The previous homeowner had a pool table.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Scott, I have a closet with a DVD case that will hold approximately 350 DVDs. This closet is accessible from my THEATER and provides access to the rear of my equipment rack, also. I used some plastic strips which have separators especially designed for DVDs. They are available at http://www.rockler.com . I used them to mount the DVDs in a vertical position, but they can be used horizontally. It is a lot easier than routing the shelf, as I did on my first DVD storage case. I have a small storage arrangement using the same dividers in the wall of my theater which can be seen (although not too clearly) below:
http://webpages.plantationcable.net/tomrhyne/img12.gif

Tom

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Thanks Tom. That is exactly the type of product I was thinking about using.

I think this will allow the maximum amount of storage, although I have plenty of room still....

I have six shelves that I have used approx 2.2 of, in single rows, for 184 DVD total. I have plenty of room, even though I don't want to use the top or bottom shelves until I desperatly need them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cowtown
Well this is What I got yesterday. I picked up 3 of these at their Swedish Math sale (buy one get another @ 50% off). Now I can hold 210 DVD's (I have about 160 right now). Only problem is they are rather wide, this may be an issue, I have to see how they work vertically.
Is it really wide... or is it just tall??

I guess it depends on how you mount it though, I guess....

Get what I mean??

·
Registered
881 Posts
FWIW, I was in a similar bind last weekend. Took some of the tax money and went on a Walmart DVD binge. Needless to say, I needed a more permanent solution to my storage needs. I wound up going over to Target and picked up these 2-shelf wall mountable and stackable "bathroom" units for $12.00 a piece. They will be mounted in my wiring/storage closet so they're out of the way but easily accessible. Each 2-shelf unit holds approx. 52 DVD cases and can be assembled in less than 10 minutes.

Good luck.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Scott, you found it. They come with a double sided adhesive strip to affix them; however, I found it inadequate. I suggest using a better adhesive or what I did was simply staple them to the structure.

Tom

·
Registered
173 Posts
I built custom cabinetry for my home theater "unit". In one side, I built and installed DVD storage pull-outs that work very well. I can store almost 300 DVDs in a 24" x 24" x 30" space with quick access to all of them. They don't sit on top of eachother, so it is simple to get them out. Also, the DVDs in the back are easily reached thanks to the use of full-extension drawer slides that can extend up to an inch beyond their own length (i.e. 20" slide extends 21"). All in all, I'm happy with the project and it wasn't too difficult.

A photo can be found through the link below:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...748&fullpage=1

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Is it really wide... or is it just tall??

I guess it depends on how you mount it though, I guess....

Get what I mean??
Yeah they can be mounted either way. As it turns out I think I found a good place to mount them horizontally. It wasn't my first choice but ultimately it will probably work better in the end anyways. Now to just find wall anchors good enough to hold these things up or hope I can get the studs close enough to where I want to mount them. :|

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like that Bartby from IKEA...just need to figure out how to get it to Las Vegas. The US Ikea does not seem to have it listed in their web site. Maybe I am just missing it.

I also toyed with the "btwn two studs" idea for a DIY project.

If I can get the IKEA product, I will go that way, if not then the DIY

Thx guys

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.