Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to store my DVDs. Perhaps using sleeves and boxes. Any suggestions? I currently have them in binders, but adding new DVDs in alphabetical order is near impossible.

I remember a thread recently about safety sleeves and some boxes. I tried to search for it, but came up empty. What do you folks do?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Throw away the boxes?

Ah, hard to breathe. Someone get me some water...

:eek:

Seriously I am way to anal to even consider throwing away a DVD case. I keep all 400+ DVDs I own in shelving units behind tinted glass doors. Problem is they take up to much space and I am always buying new units (which of course have to match the others...)

Heck I even make sure all my DVDs are in Amaray cases. Die Warner snappers die :mad:

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i keep my 400+ in the ORIGINAL cases on dvd storage shelving we bought..funny thing is we thought we bought enough of them, only to find out they don't make them anymore...oh well..

brickie

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I put them in CD jewel cases with a copy of the chapters as an insert (or whatever else you want on the front). I then store them in a motorized CD spinner (from Sharper Image). I store the DVD boxes--they're too hard to insert/remove the discs from.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Cary---Why would you want empty DVD boxes? I can't think of more useless things. I also throw out empty milk cartons, macaroni boxes and blister packs of all sorts. Do you covet those things as well? :)

Keeping DVDs in wallets is far more sensible than keeping them on shelves; they take up vastly less room and it's very easy to flip through the wallets when "scanning" to see what movie you might want to watch.

The storage space freed by using wallets can be used for more important things, things like BOOKS (of which I have a couple of thousand and books WON'T fit into wallets).

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Not interested in your empty milk cartoons but I will take some empty amaray cases if you have any for the trash this week. :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wallets are fine, but I need to organize my collection to find movies easily. Keeping a collection of almost 300 titles in alphabetical order would be nigh impossible with wallets. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Here's an idea -

Get yourself a 4 terrabyte raid server and rip all your movies. Get yourself DVDLobby for orgaization and launching. No wallets and no shelves. You can throw out the boxes. Hell, you can throw out the DVDs.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Brennan
TCB----Think a little buddy. You can use seperate wallets for different genres of movies and then go alphabetical within that wallet or genre. Simple.
DOH! You can't possibly expect me to think. I just spent all day teaching 10th graders. C'mon, be realistic.

Seriously, I don't want to break them up into genres. I want the entire collection, my shrine to obsessive compulsive behavior, to be alphabatized. This will make it easier for the whole family to find films and, more importantly, PUT THEM BACK properly. Whew.

What I am thinking of is safety sleeves with some kind of storage boxes that fit the DVDs well. Advice on this would be appreciated. There was a thread on this recently, I just can't find it again. I searched to no avail.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
17,687 Posts

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Reading the thread with interest, so far the spinner sounds the most interesting. I currently buy DVD units at GOODWILL, plastic and sometimes wood units show up there I then put them behind my glass door,, and they look like they are all the same unit, when the door is closed, haha

But the spinner sounds cool :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Brennan
TCB----Think a little buddy. You can use seperate wallets for different genres of movies and then go alphabetical within that wallet or genre. Simple.
And then what happens when you buy a new movie. If i bought something starting in " A " it would take way to much time movinng everthing over, taking it ut the jacket, putting it in the new jacket , etc.

With my shelving I just slide them down, and within 5 seconds, I have room for my new DVD.

·
Registered
897 Posts
DVD storage does become a bit of a pain. I keep my in alphabetical order on open shelves. It does become a pain as the shelves fill as you may have to move dozens of DVDs to fit one into the right place. It's all a bit like dominos. You take the end DVDs off the shelf to make room to insert your new ones and then end up moving the ones from the end of the first shelf to the shelf below, which if it is too full results in your having to remove the end ones from that shelf to move down . . . and on and on it goes. :D

I'm waiting for the first linkable mass changers with DVI and then I'm loading the whole collection into the changers. Good riddance to all this dust collecting open storage!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I started out using shelves already in my bedroom (when the collection was less than 100) but didn't like that I had to dust them off all the time and relocate the things that took up residence on the shelves to begin with. I then went the economical route by buying those plastic drawer boxes ($5 or so depending on size) sold at your local B&M stores. Stacking those boxes full of dvds (about 50 or so / box) on top of one another past a certain height of about 3 can start to lean and make the lower drawers a little warped due to the weight. I'd then stack them about 3 high x 3 wide on each of 4 shelves included in a stainless steel wire shelving unit (I bought a COSTCO for $50). I then reached 500 or so DVDs and began thinking about the CD storage albums and throwing out the boxes so I could condense things a little; I didn't like throwing the boxes out. Now I use these:

http://www.decibeldesigns.com/index.html

These are the ones I use:

http://www.decibeldesigns.com/dvdtower400.htm

I have 6 of the 17"wX17"dX60"h spinner units and although they are slightly expensive, they're very solidly built, nice looking and everything is contained in a relatively small unit away from dust. I must admit however that I built 4 of the 6 units after I found that I could get the measurements by taking one apart and perfectly matching the stain.

MCO:)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
sknyfs----So fine, who needs them in alphabetical order anyway, why be anal about this stuff? I have westerns in their wallet, dramas in another and so forth. I find movies quickly flipping through the proper wallet.

An alternative is for one's home to look like a low-rent video store, like Network's place. If you like that look have a field day.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.