AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an up-scale DVD storage rack that can hold at least 100 DVD's. I'd like to find one that is wall mountable, so that the titles will be at eye level. What I'm trying to avoid are the DVD racks or towers that sit on the floor and the ones that have poor quality construction.

Preferrably, the wood or metal would match my current home theater scheme, but that is not as important as the actual design and function of the unit. I do not need it to have VHS or CD holding capability. Any VHS tapes that I have are in a drawer in my media units and all of my CD's are in boxes in the basement (I rarely listen to music outside of my car).

If anyone owns something like this and can tell me where to look, I would greatly appreciate it. Or, if you've seen something like this on the internet, point me there. I can't find anything locally, all they have is the typical department store fare (cookie cutter Laserline type stuff).

I've got my DVD's lined up on the unused shelves of my media cabinets, but my collection is outgrowing the space (plus it doesn't look that good).

Thanks in advance for the tips.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am looking into building a deep in wall drawer for housing my DVD's. Does anyone know if there is somewhere i could purchase some type of a rack or flip style holder for dvd's. I am looking for something i could mount at the bottom of the drawer as opposed to just throwing the dvd's in a drawer all loose like.

thanks

·
Registered
667 Posts
Before opting for a pair of floor standing DVD racks:

see: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=39459

I considered building in-wall DVD racks, basically shelves - but recessed into the walls. You could cut sheetrock out from between the wall studs, and finish off the hole with plywood and some kind of edging or decorative finish around the edges. Depending on the depth of the inside of your walls, the DVD cases might protrude a very small amount, but I think it would look very nice if finished well.

This way your DVD's could all be at eye level and not take up any floor space.

Just a thought.

Paul

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cain - I already posted a link to the elite storage designs webpage.

Actually, what I've decided to do is build my own rack. I'm fairly crafty in the workshop and I'm almost done with them. I copied the elite storage design executive series, except that I made them with better wood and stained them to match my cherry wood entertainment center.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice rack Art!

I like the lighting in there too. I may have to add that to mine when I finish it (staining it to match my existing cabinets is a big pain in the butt) (so was routing the leading edge of the shelf to give it a smooth professional finish).

I'll post some pics when it's actually hanging on my wall full of DVD's.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My DVD collection has now grown to nearly 400 titles, so space has been at a premium.

My nerdish instincts drove me to Discgear for the 100 selector.

This device allows you to move a pointer to any of 100 locations, press a bar on the front of the device and the lid lifts with the selected disk attached to the lid leaving the other 99 in the base. In a unit just over a foot wide and not much bigger in diameter than the discs themselves, I store 100 movies.

Then, I maintain a list of all of the movies in a sortable Excel spreadsheet. When I want a movie, I look up the title in my list and open the appropriate unit at the indicated position. And voila! Room for 500 DVDs on a set of shelves a half foot deep, 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide.

Adding to my nerdish behavior is that I'm significantly into a project of printing the IMDB pages for each movie to help people choose films with unbiased descriptions.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi,

I'm going to be purchasing new furniture when I get my DILA..

I'm trying to figure out DVD storage that will keep costs down, while protecting DVD's from dust. One of the possibilities is the IKEA BILLY bookshelve/cabinets with glass doors, using glass shelves, for 8 rows per bookshelf. I would have to re-drill new holes for the glass shelves to accomodate the DVD's.

Originally, I thought the (bare-bones) BILLY might be a bit too cheap looking, but when adding the glass doors option and using glass shelves instead of wood shelves (an option IKEA offers too), then they become one of the more inexpensive nice-looking glass-doored furniture pieces I've seen. Basically, a cheap bookshelf turns into a nice glass-doored glass-shelved cabinetry, with some upgrade options that IKEA offers...

For a fully upgraded BILLY at about $300 CDN including cost of glass doors, a single glass-doored IKEA BILLY bookshelf/cabinet unit, slightly modified, should be able to hold about 400 DVD's at about 50 per row. They are available in 4 colors, I believe including black and various wood types (I chose beech, since it's a living room rather than a dedicated home theater). $300 CDN equals under $200 USD -- I don't think you can get large glass-doored cabinetry new for these prices. Although the glass shelf option may increase the price somewhat (still have to find prices on IKEA glass shelves option...)

I did some mathematical calculations based on the thickness of a shelf and the height of a DVD, and if I use thin glass shelves (an option it comes with) instead of wood shelves, it should fit 8 rows of DVD's rather than 6 rows, as long as new holes are drilled for the glass shelves. This is not including height extension option (which would not accomodate glass doors, but would provide space for things like oversize box sets or the few VHS videotapes I have. The height extension raises the height to nearly 8 feet, to make the BILLY have a "built-in-bookshelf" look, because the whole floor-to-height is accomodated.

I'll be buying these units next month and beginning modifications so that they fit 8 rows of DVD each. Since my DVD collection exceed 500 and will probably rocket past 800 within two years, I'll likely be buying three of these units and using two initially.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jon

Nice job on the shelves :cool: I built my own HT center out of finish birch ply and cherry. Have not had time to rebuild my web page and add the photo's (read lack of time!!) Like your idea. Was considering building a 4th cabnet for DVD's and CD's. Problem with the cabnets is they take 8 board feet of cherry to make the crown molding!:p

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is a unit called SKARA available from IKEA. I bought it here in Toronto for $99 Canadian.

It holds almost 300 DVDs (7 shelves with 37 each = 296)

Mounts on the wall and matches all my other IKEA stuff.

Here is another pic..

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Say, that first picture threw me for a loop! I thought you had all the cases sitting so they were label up, on a table-top style rack. Then I turned my head and realized what it actually looks like.

You know, for those of you that are somewhat handy, you can also buy regular bookshelves and modify them to match what you want by building little "steps" for each shelf. This would allow you to have two rows of DVD's per shelf, one sitting higher than the other, behind the first row. The shelf serves dual purpose as it spaces the front row away from the back wall and also lifts the back row up so as to be able to see the labels on the DVD. I plan on doing this as my collection grows. I have a closet with shelves that are fixed heights, so this will work out ver good for me, I just don't have the need for it yet.

I made a quick image of what I plan to do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.