AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been experiencing studdering and skipping during dvd playback on my htpc. It usually plays fine for the first half of the movie or so and then get progressively worse. Last night I watched Vanilla Sky (not very good by the way) and by the end of the movie it was almost unwatchable. I just created a dual boot system to try and get rid of this problem and it seem just as bad. dma is enabled, I used windvd4.0, nothing else is installed on this boot.

I have

win98se

ecs k7s5a

256 ram

delta dvd-rom

wd 40gig

tdk 16/10/40cdrw

audigy soundcard

I am leaning towards a failing dvd-rom. Maybe the dvd-rom is having a hard time on the second layer towards the outer edge????

Steve

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by starblzer
I have recently been experiencing studdering and skipping during dvd playback on my htpc. It usually plays fine for the first half of the movie or so and then get progressively worse. Last night I watched Vanilla Sky (not very good by the way) and by the end of the movie it was almost unwatchable. I just created a dual boot system to try and get rid of this problem and it seem just as bad. dma is enabled, I used windvd4.0, nothing else is installed on this boot.

I have

win98se

ecs k7s5a

256 ram

Steve
Vanilla Sky is a rather lengthy movie. Win 98 probably can't hack it. Bad memory management with device handles, etc. Not pre-emptively multitasking. Try Win 2K or XP, and more ram. Alternatively try ripping the movie to a defragged 6+ GB section of your hard drive. Use windvd's playlist option with the vob files. Pray your HD doesn't go into disk cal.

I think that no matter what you do, there will always be a hesitation somewhere during playback. Windows is not a real-time OS. That's life.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that it is a win98 problem, as I said in the orginal post it use to work fine when the dvd-rom was new. Plus I have watche longer movies then Vanilla Sky, such as The Patriot and the Greeen Mile and they played fine and they are both over 2.5 hrs.

Steve

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Steve,

How warm do the DVDs feel when you take them out? If they're almost hot to the touch, then you have an air-flow problem in your system enclosure which is cooking the DVD drive.

I used to have a similar problem until I upgraded the case to one that included more fans. Unfortunately, that made it too noisy to use as an HTPC :(

·
Registered
352 Posts
WinDVD 4 has audio and video studdering on my XP machine when I enable 'hardware acceleration' - I also have studdering when I use ATI's DVD player. Otherwise no problem.

Maybe try changing that setting and/or another DVD software program to see if you have the same problem as me. My video card is a Radeon 32DDR and audio is Audigy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.