Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
23,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh. Another f**king DVD from Universal Studios with forced trailers

at the beginning. By the time you know what's happening their

lame bypass is too late (if it even works at all). I resorted to fast forward.

I was so mad!!!

I did eventually watch the movie and I enjoyed it. The plot was somewhat

unique. The PQ wasn't bad, the DD 5.1 wasn't really used, but the

the soundtrack was Elvis Costello and there wasn't enough of it.

So now, besides checking aspect ratio on a DVD case, I'll

have to check to see if it is Universal Studios. Universal is now unwelcome

in my DVD player.

larry

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Animal House really annoyed me with this crap, and it's discouraging to see Univeral is still doing this.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Man I hope they dont do this to our beloved upcoming release of scarface.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think I am going to boycott Universal DVDs. I am sick of their F*&% ups!!!!! Between the the forced trailers (I couldn't even press stop!) and their faulty transfers, I don't know what's worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I will no longer purchase their releases. I will buy their D-Theater tritles though. No ******* trailers on them!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Universal isn't the only one - Fox is guilty of this as well at least on the original X-men. Maybe the studios are trying to make it like a real theatre experience.

What kills me is that on one of the recent releases (can't recall which one might even be Chicago) they even have an option from the main menu to watch these trailers!

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Ah, the beauty of the HTPC. TheaterTek allows you to set a movie start set point to skip menus, FBI screens, forced trailers after the initial setup.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i agree karnis, go htpc and we won't even have to have this thread...

brickie

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
IMO they can do whatever they want with rentals, but forcing you to sit through through the same trailers every time on a DVD you purchase is an OUTRAGE. And there should either be a large disclaimer on the packaging, or guaranteed refunds.

Talk about a way to create loads of bad will with your customers for absolutely negligable gain!!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brickie
i agree karnis, go htpc and we won't even have to have this thread...
Yes, we would, because this practice is simply unacceptable. We shouldn't have to invest $2K into a HTPC just to easily bypass these GD forced trailers.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
it's anoying, but it's so minor an inconvienience it's not worth bitching about IMHO. It doesn't take jack away from the actual movie, which is why you buy it, and there are aorse things like EE to care about....

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Yes, we would, because this practice is simply unacceptable. We shouldn't have to invest $2K into a HTPC just to easily bypass these GD forced trailers.
The real question is, why don't standalone players have a bit of writeable memory in them so you can set the same type of bookmarks? So many supposed "advancedments" in STB's and they don't even have the most basic features, and they still have layer change pauses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just wait...I'll bet the day is coming...

...buy that shiny new DVD...pop it in the player....and aarrrggghhh...

COMMERCIALS!!!!!!

This is one of the reasons (many reasons), that I avoid going to the theatre anymore. Nothing like paying $8 just to get force fed ads.

I don't mind trailers...I do mind an ad for 7-UP, etc.

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Yes the DVD trailer ads are somewhat annoying. Even worse than that is theaters have gone to showing full ads for shampoo, cars and whatnot. An ad for Coke and popcorn is not really an ad to me, as that's what people usually buy while there, but household products....

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
I don't mind so much that the trailers come up automatically so much as you can't use the chapter skip button to jump past them. I'm thinking I may need to watch reviews more often and not buy DVDs that have this "feature." Then I'll write to the studio and tell them why. I suggest everyone do the same. It's time that studios recognize this is a trend that won't be tolerated.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I agree with all of the comments regarding "forced" trailers, ads, etc.

But, I do enjoy having the option of watching trailers....I remember with VHS I always had a list of must see movies based on the trailers I would watch....now that I don't watch trailers as much my list is smaller....plus, I enjoy trailers (don't throw tomatoes).

Again, "OPTION".

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Interesting - it looks like not everyone is as bothered by having to sit through up to 10 minutes of trailers you've already seen every time you want to view a movie you paid for.

Personally this upset's me more than any other DVD sin (ok except bad transfers of great movies). I'd awalys assumed this was one of those things that raised everyones blood pressure as much as my mine - and suprised its not a big problem for many.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.