AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a struggling college student, so I have to pick and choose my gadgets. I have a cheepo DVD player and I have it hooked into one of the inputs on the back of the replay, then out from my replay to the TV. If I had a switching receiver it would be and easy hookup, but I dont. Anyway I go in and change the input to watch a dvd, but the problem is I have to make sure nothing is going to start recording while I am watching the DVD because it will switch to that channel. Any posibilities that future software versions will let you watch an input while recording from TV? or do I need to invest $30-50 to get a radio shack input selector?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Get a coaxial splitter from RS for $4

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm not sure if a coax splitter will help since most DVD players don't come with coax out. That is unless you meant RCA cable splitters.

Doc,

You really need to offer more info if you want help on this. What do you have in your system? AV in/outs on TV, receiver, etc.?

I can tell you how mine is set up. My TV has 2 RCA AV inputs including one with SVideo as an option instead of the yellow RCA. My DVD player has red white and yellow RCA outs as well as an SVideo and Coax audio out. I run the red, white, and yellow RCA's to my ReplayTV and my ReplayTV RCA red, white, and yellow to my TV video in. I then run the DVD SVideo to my TV SVideo in and the DVD coax audio to my receiver.

I guess I can also say what you minimally need so that you don't have to get the RS av splitter. As long as your TV is cable ready and has at least one RCA AV input you should be all set. I assume all DVD players have both the Yellow video out and SVideo out. You can pick up RCA audio splitters at RS so that the one Red and White outs on your DVD can go to 2 different places (the Replay and the TV). Send your DVD SVideo out to the Replay and the Yellow video out to the TV input and use the Replay's coax out to the tv's coax cable inputs. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Go to wal-mart and pick up a 4 source A/V switch for $20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.