AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old Hitachi RPT that has pillar bars which are a little lighter than the 4:3 section of the screen. I'm assuming too much 4:3 SD tv watching has burned in the 4:3 section of the screen disproportionately to the side bars.

I'd like to burn in the pillar bar sections to match the 4:3 section.

Is there a dvd that shows bright white on the pillar bar section and black on the 4:3 section? I could play it every night until theirs no contrast between the 4:3 section and the pillar bars.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabner /forum/post/0

I have a 3 year old Hitachi RPT that has pillar bars which are a little lighter than the 4:3 section of the screen. I'm assuming too much 4:3 SD tv watching has burned in the 4:3 section of the screen disproportionately to the side bars.

I'd like to burn in the pillar bar sections to match the 4:3 section.

Is there a dvd that shows bright white on the pillar bar section and black on the 4:3 section? I could play it every night until theirs no contrast between the 4:3 section and the pillar bars.

I'm actually working on one for just that reason.

Could some kind soul help me figure the correct dimensions? My plasma is 1024x768 native resolution. As I create the bitmap files that will form the slide show on this reverse burn in DVD, how big (in pixels) should the entire image be and how large is the 4:3 section in the center?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd /forum/post/0

Could some kind soul help me figure the correct dimensions? My plasma is 1024x768 native resolution. As I create the bitmap files that will form the slide show on this reverse burn in DVD, how big (in pixels) should the entire image be and how large is the 4:3 section in the center?

FYI some plasmas (Panasonic for one) have an "negative image" mode in their screen saver menu that allows you to do exactly what you are attempting.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb /forum/post/0

FYI some plasmas (Panasonic for one) have an "negative image" mode in their screen saver menu that allows you to do exactly what you are attempting.

I wish my HP did have such a thing.

I was able to capture a few min. of the NFL network on my DVR back when they were putting gray bars on their HD broadcast and I can pause on that during a scene transition that has a black screen in the 4:3 section. However, the DVR will only pause for 15 min.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd /forum/post/0

With a dvd, I would think you could have 100s of choices so you could fine tune it to match your burn in exactly.

-OR-

Can't you make each side progressively increase. You then put the dvd play in slow mode when you get close, so you can pause it when it matches?

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabner /forum/post/0

With a dvd, I would think you could have 100s of choices so you could fine tune it to match your burn in exactly.

-OR-

Can't you make each side progressively increase. You then put the dvd play in slow mode when you get close, so you can pause it when it matches?

Well, I'm either an idiot (very possible) or it's harder than it seems.

I created a 1280x720 bitmap with a 960x720 blacked-out section in the center leaving colored bars on either end. A series of these with different colors were burned as a DVD slide show using Nero.

However, when playing them in my Samsung R135 DVD player, the colored bars don't fill the entire display on my HP PL4260N (top to bottom) no matter what I set the output resolution to on the DVD player (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, etc.).

I'd rather not do trial and error since it takes so much time (and I'm low on DVD-RW disks).

·
Registered
46 Posts
This could be very interesting. I was planning on doing something similar to help evenly age the letterboxed sections of the screen after watching 2.35:1 dvds. I was thinking an AviSynth script might work well since it would allow for quick and easy adjustments. The output would look similar to the break-in DVD, but would have a black matte for the main content (around 720x360), which would allow for 60 pixels each at the top and bottom to display the alternating colors. I figure that displaying something like this for 10-15 minutes after watching 2.35:1 movies would really help to evenly age the phosphors.

·
Banned
889 Posts
I would think a neat idea for the side bars on 4:3 to 16:9 would be some kind of moving imagery - like a screen saver.

I wouldn't mind having fish swimming or flying toilets(After Dark) behind my old 4:3 material.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I created three simple bitmap files that work for my TV (HP PL4260N).

These are 1024X768 bitmaps with black in the 4:3 letterbox and colored bars in the remaining 16:9 area. One each red, green, blue.

I loaded them as a slide show screen saver on my laptop and connected it to the PC port on the TV. I massaged them until the colored bars align perfectly with the black bars that are displayed when 4:3 content is shown on my TV. Yours may vary slightly.

Running the laptop screen saver over night for a few nights has aged the non-4:3 phosphors up to the point that they match the rest of the screen.

Red

Green

Blue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.