AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the HD100 and I wanted to get an overcan pattern up on my Mits HD set. To get the AVIA overscan pattern on the 1080i input I have read this can be done though ones vcr. So I ran a composite video out of my dvd player - into my composite vcr input - rf output from my vcr to the rf digital input on the HD100. No dvd picture at all. It seems since I do not have any digital OTA in my area the hd100 will not let me program in a digital OTA ch3. ONly the analog CH3.

Any suggestions what I am doing wrong? I want to set my HD inputs overscan correctly.

Thanks

Troy

------------------

Troy

·
Registered
961 Posts
You're not doing anything wrong. The HD100 sees your vcr output as analog ch 3, which is what it is. As for no picture at all, all I can suggest is try switching the vcr invput/antenna switch. What happens if you play a tape with your wiring setup? In any case, I don't understand why you want the Avia signal to go through the hd100. For overscan purposes, just send the dvd signal straight to the TV. Or, am I missing something here? Art

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I am trying to do is get my avia pattern on the 1080i input. and if I run my dvd directly to the tv its only 480i and 480p. My tv has separate service menu settings for 480i, 480p, & 1080i. I was told if I pass the dvd signal though my vcr directly to the dtv rf input the tv would think is a 1080i source at which I could adjust my overscan. Others have done it on this forum with success but the Sony won't do it.

Troy

------------------

Troy

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
RCA's DTC100 has a feature that converts a NTSC 480i input into a simulated 1080i. This simulation, as I understand it, is a 540p signal with digitally enhanced horizontal resolution. For this to work with your set up, the HD100 needs a similar 1080i-simulation feature. With all the DTC100 signal manipulation in a 480i-to-540p conversion, I find it surprising folks are relying on the resulting screen patterns for any type of reliable calibration. But, of course, it's better than buying a $1500 HDTV pattern generator you might use once a year.-- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Might sound elementary but make sure the vcr is on and the channel is L1 or L2...or whatever your model displays before channel two.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Troy,

This is yet another "flaw" in the HD100, and Franky one of the reasons I went back to the Panasonic Unit. There are not format codes for the HD100.

The best you can do is run the HD100 in 1080i VGA mode, then run the pattern on Analog Channel 3. However, since there are not format controls, you will get a 4:3 pattern with black bars on the sides. If you tell the HD100 you have a 4:3 TV it will then fill the screen.

This procedure is a pain in the ASS becuase, most people buy the HD100 for the variable mode. To do this you have to unplug your component cables, plug in a vga cable and do a bunch of tweeking.

Good Luck!

--Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.