AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba MT8 with a Faroudja "DCDi" image chip and my dvd player is an Arcam FMJ 27 with a Silicon Image "pure progressive" image chip...

.... the question is, for the best picture quality, should I send an interlaced signal from the dvd to the MT8, to enable the Faroudja to do the image processing or send it progressive straight from the dvd with the Silicon image chip doing the work?

Any idea which of the two chip's does a better job and therefore is the better method for ultimate picture quality?

M

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Why not try both and see what looks better to you? I'm sure many here would be interested to hear your impressions.

I would guess that the Faroudja in the projector would be superior, but that's what testing both will reveal!

If you want the best PQ possible, try a DVD player with DVI out (or a home theater PC, my fave).

JOHN

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well initial impressions on ntsc material, haven't had a chance to try Pal as yet, is that componenet interlaced to the projector provides a much clearer image than component progressive!

M

·
Registered
211 Posts
I run a Denon 3800 into mine and I've tried it on and off in both interlaced and progressive for nearly 12 months. There is very little to choose between them, and which looks best depends very much on the source DVD.

Going interlaced to the projector is best for noisy DVDs as the Faroudja has an adjustable noise filter, allowing the 3800 to do the deinterlacing makes for slightly smoother pans and maybe even a slightly more film like look.

However if I was shopping for a DVD player tomorrow I'd be just looking for an excellent interlaced player.

Regards,

Ian Guinan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.