AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasnt there a thread about a company that does dvd's that shows off your display potential. Didn't pionner have a KURO disc. Trying to find something cool to run while company is over. Searched and can't find anything.

Thanks........

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pioneer did in fact make demo discs for at least the last 2 years (2008 & 2007) that I know of. Unfortunately they did not come with their panels or were available for purchase as they were given to retailers to play on Pioneer floor displays. Every once on a while one will come along on ebay for sale but since they're getting hard to find they usually go for an exorbitant price, usually $70 on up.

Also, I would personally not use a dvd to show off any plasma tv. If you don't have blu-ray then there's really no reason to have a high end HDTV aside from maybe 1080i HD programming. I'm not trying to be pretentious, it's just some people don't know how different dvd and blu-ray are until they've experienced it.

Maybe you meant blu-ray. If that's the case then check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Why bother with those CG alien worlds when the real one here on Earth, properly captured, can be so breathtaking? I'm talking about the recently completed Tour de France, broadcast 24/7 through July on Versus Network. It is/was the best demo an HD display could have.

I know it's over. But there's always next year.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Get a nice Bluray player (example the Oppo BD-83) and buy the Planet Earth series on Bluray disc and your guest will be loving it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Evangelo's break in DVD is reference standard hi res and very colorful. Everyone will look in awe as the colors just pop out of the screen enveloping everyone in the color zone.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the Kuro disc from 2008 and even though it is a DVD, the images captured are among the clearest, sharpest lifelike i've seen. Just because the Kuro models are outstanding, the end picture is only as good as it was recorded/intended. ALL BluRay titles don't look uniformaly outstanding. my 2c's.

Mine was free btw. I thought the last Bond movie has great color/contrast and agree with the above - Bolt is pretty good.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefy6 /forum/post/16911520

I have the Kuro disc from 2008 and even though it is a DVD, the images captured are among the clearest, sharpest lifelike i've seen. Just because the Kuro models are outstanding, the end picture is only as good as it was recorded/intended. ALL BluRay titles don't look uniformaly outstanding. my 2c's.

Mine was free btw. I thought the last Bond movie has great color/contrast and agree with the above - Bolt is pretty good.

So who are you responding to? I never said that all blu-ray movies look uniformly outstanding. Also, the Pioneer demo disc was also available on blu-ray. If your dvd images are the clearest, sharpest, and most lifelike you've ever seen then you don't have much credibility to be suggesting what to demo a high end HDTV with.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You won't find the top video quality unless you try Blu Ray.

From Blu-ray.com you can choose the best BD disks in terms of quality. Many of show piece titles are now 50% cheaper than list, since they've been out for about a year.

You can't go wrong with:

Band of Brothers, for video and audio

Planet Earth, for video, audio is not the best the format can offer

Blade Runner, video and audio

Now before you jump in, know the BD players are not all made the same, and only a few are trouble free. There are entire forums dedicated to different players on AVS.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I think it was DTS that used to have one showing off a star wars clip which was great for demoing picture and sound.

There are plenty of great Blu-ray movies to pick scenes out of for demo's but are there any demo specific discs available such as that? I would think that would have discs available that have even less compression then full length movies that show even better since theres plenty of room using only short clips.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will have to get the blue ray planet earth stuff and some disney/pixar films movies, but looking for something that is kinda like wall art too. I found this on THX website. I wonder if they can be downloaded and burned blue ray format. Not up to par on that stuff.

http://www.thx.com/cinema/trailers.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
There are a lot of great quality blu-rays..

So far the ones I've seen that are amazing IMO..

Planet Earth

Kill Bill 1 & 2

Blade Runner

Sin City

Kung Fu Panda

Wall-E

Bolt

Man on Fire (has a lot of grain though & some people prefer the "clean" look)

I, Robot

·
Registered
922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/16913898

...and propaganda that implies that man is descended from the apes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just found this too. I heard u can download the KURO disc torrents but not sure how the quality would be. Has anyone accomplished that.

http://www.demo-world.eu/demo-dvds/

1 - 20 of 29 Posts