AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always getting requests at work to copy various training DVD's, which is a huge waste of time as they often need up to 20 copies of a disc.

I want to start putting these training dvd's on our website instead. But I need to use a format that doesn't require the user to install any software, and it needs to run on low-end machines without chugging.

I'm looking for a quick, easy solution on my end. Preferably just one or two pieces of software to get the job done. I'm comfortable with DVD Decrypter but getting it from VIDEO_TS file structure into a web-playable video is the part that I need help with.

Any suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Use dvd fab to convert to an AVI or WMV
http://www.dvdfab.com/

I am also assuming these disks are not copywritten by another party. I am not normally strict about that, but posting copywritten material to a corporate website could get you into a lot of trouble

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but DVDFab will create files that use special codecs (not natively supported in windows). The user would have to install the Divx player or what have you.

I guess my only option is something that converts to WMV? Know of any good DVD-to-WMV software?

Good point on the copyrights, by the way. I'll check into that; should be ok for our purposes as these vids will be accessible only through our password-protected webpage.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod /forum/post/14254616

I guess my only option is something that converts to WMV? Know of any good DVD-to-WMV software?

You can download Windows Media Encoder 9 free from Microsoft, and use Microsoft's utility or encode with a third party vfw-compatible utility such as VirtualDub (also free).

Another possibility is to encode to flash video; most people have that installed on their browser.

A third possibility to encode to Xvid, it's a good MPEG-4 ASP codec, doesn't require much CPU power to decode, and although your viewers will have to install the codec, it's a lightning fast install and the video can then be played back through their media player of choice.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Ever considered Flash? Sure, quality isn't the best but it's almost always guaranteed to be installed. If not, installation is easy enough. Even some WM codecs aren't automatically included on a bare Windows install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts