AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assuming that there is already a thread on this topic so I would appreciate a link if possible. If not, let's start the discussion.

What are good "torture" tests so see how good your DVD player is a deinterlacing, 2:3 pulldown, black levels, etc?

I have read that the coliseum fly over in Gladiator is a good deinterlacer test.

Sincerely,

snooktarpon

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bigelow
Second the HQV test disk.

Paul

Third it. That HQV disc is a torture rack!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just received the HQV disk, too. It is so nice to be able to pick exactly the test pattern you want and have it sit there in front of you - rather than chasing down one tiny clip of a movie.

Steve.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I ordered mine about a month ago, still not here. Anyone have a phone #? They didn't even return my email last week.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick TX
I ordered mine about a month ago, still not here. Anyone have a phone #? They didn't even return my email last week.
They lost my order when I ordered one. I had to email them to sort it out.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Had mine for a few weeks now. Hope things work out.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Strange. If they have a phone number, I'd recommend using it. Otherwise, PM "HQV" right here and he can probably get things straightened out for you. Nice guy!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
Strange. If they have a phone number, I'd recommend using it. Otherwise, PM "HQV" right here and he can probably get things straightened out for you. Nice guy!
I just sent a pm to HQV for the same problem that Patrick TX is having. Ordered the disk on July 20, no response to email, no telephone number to call so this is the only route available to try and get a response. Not too happy at the moment.

John

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carled
Have you tried the HQV Benchmark DVD, and the zone plate patterns on Avia and Digital Video Essentials?
HQV disc is pretty good, but of course they fill it with video stuff to show you had bad your video deinterlacer is. I kinda get sick of this focus on video deinterlacing in the DVD player--as I can't remember the last video on DVD I watched that wasn't a test disc!

Dave

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEast
I just received the HQV disk, too. It is so nice to be able to pick exactly the test pattern you want and have it sit there in front of you - rather than chasing down one tiny clip of a movie.

Steve.
Yes, I agree. :)

That said, it would be cool to consolidate all the "tiny movie clips" into a comprehensive list so that individuals could make their own Benchmark DVDs. We can't do that because of licensing issues....

Johnny and Patrick: I'm on it. I'll find out what the problem is and will get back to you asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99
I kinda get sick of this focus on video deinterlacing in the DVD player--as I can't remember the last video on DVD I watched that wasn't a test disc!
Cursed Golden Eyes! ;)

I'm spoiled: I've got Realta at home. DVDs are no longer perpetual torture tests, and most problematic material I see is garbage from satellite TV...

·
Registered
128 Posts
It turns out that we've had quite a few problems with people not hitting the "click here to complete sale" button. We've recently highlighted this button (giant letters in red), and this seems to have solved it.

For specific questions regarding your order please email [email protected]

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HQV
Cursed Golden Eyes! ;)

I'm spoiled: I've got Realta at home. DVDs are no longer perpetual torture tests, and most problematic material I see is garbage from satellite TV...
I agree, you need good video deinterlacing typically for non-DVD sources. This is the exact reason why an external scaler is a better choice than the scaler in the DVD player--the average person simply does not watch that much truly video sourced material on DVD. Heck, even a stupid flag reading deinterlacer can do a fine job with most major movie releases (I'm not counting any "extras" like noise cleanup, etc).

Dave

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99
HQV disc is pretty good, but of course they fill it with video stuff to show you had bad your video deinterlacer is. I kinda get sick of this focus on video deinterlacing in the DVD player--as I can't remember the last video on DVD I watched that wasn't a test disc!
It depends on what you watch really.

If you only watch 3-2 material, then your deinterlacing requirements will be lower anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQV
It turns out that we've had quite a few problems with people not hitting the "click here to complete sale" button. We've recently highlighted this button (giant letters in red), and this seems to have solved it.

For specific questions regarding your order please email [email protected]
In my case I was charged the money for it, so I would assume that means I had completed the sale properly. In any case, I have it now, so all good.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Would this be a good disc to buy to compare 2 dvd players so I can decide which one I want to keep?

I have avia/dve but I never do the advanced stuff ....would these be good enough to do some tests on my players.

chad

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs
Would this be a good disc to buy to compare 2 dvd players so I can decide which one I want to keep?

I have avia/dve but I never do the advanced stuff ....would these be good enough to do some tests on my players.

chad
Yes, this is a good disc for this. But, as I pointed out, most of the tests are tests of video deinterlacing. If the DVDs you watch are films and major netowrk TV shows, you may rarely or never need video deinterlacing. Make sure you are testing them the way you'll most likely be using them.

Dave

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
Third it. That HQV disc is a torture rack!
Q--How does the Onkyo handle being cranked over the coals?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick TX
I emailed on Sunday about my overdue order. They took care of it by Monday morning west coast time.

M

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.