AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a number of DVD/VCR combos on the market, but not any progressive DVD/VCR.

1. Is there such a thing?

2. Is there any brand/model that is better?

3. Am I nuts for using a combo model?

My kids still have tons of VHS tapes and I really don't want to be hassled with always changing the input for them. I'm not a HDTV techie, so I'm not overly worried about getting the absolute best picture.

This will be connected to a Hitachi 51" SWX20B. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Panasonic is the one I was looking at, also. I only found one review on it and it was very critical of the reliability (this guy had two break down and finally switched brands). That's just one review, but it did scare me a little. The only other one I found after posting was a Sonic Blue (same as GoVideo), but the brand scares me, also.

Think I'll take the Panasonic over the Sonic Blue, if I don't find anything else to choose from. Thanks for the heads-up on the rebate.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Samsung has one as well. It also has a Sony Memory Stick slot in case you happen to own a Sony digital camera as well. The Samsung model number is 2500.

-Skip

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dwarmka,

Did you look at the Panasonic PV-D4762 also? It's a little more, but has commercial skip.

Also, what do you think of your PV-D4752? Clumsy? Picture? Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
FYI - I bought the sonicblue DVR4300 recently (its the DVR5100, but without the progressive scan) from a great radioshack rebate deal -- and this unit works great so far (2 weeks+). I really like the option of having either a combined DVD+VCR output and/or separate outputs. Some units only have one or the other. It makes using either a simple "go the channel 3" and then use either one, no switching a/v inputs, etc. Its a really good looking player as well. The menus look a bit primitive, but there are lots of good features and things to like about this goVideo/sonicblue player, IMHO.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Anyone seen the new Rio HT2030 that Best Buy just started carrying ($400 after rebate)? Progressive scan DVD, VHS player, receiver with DD, DTS, DPLII rated at 50 watts per puss 100 for the sub. Comes with some decent looking little sattelites and sub (pretty much the standard theater-in-a-box set, except with the Rio style-sense; haven't listened to them yet but not likely to use all of them anyway). I'm very interested in this unit as it would streamline my living room set up (the wife room, basically) and add in all the features we don't have now (surround sound, MP3 playback, progressive scan, integrated receiver with DPLII), so I'm just looking for input that says either, yeah, this unit is decent for the money (I already know that it will likely be underpowered, but that's fine for the application), or no, this unit is trash.

Thanks,

Kensai

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got a Rio HT2030 a couple months ago and have been really happy with it. My theatre room is 17' x 11.5'. The sound is more than adequate for that space. The subwoofer will need to be adjusted up, but this is easily done within the unit setup. The only snag I found is that the dvd tray wanted to be open all the time, and it wouldn't read anything put into the dvd player, until I had played a video tape! Got no good explanation for this from the customer service line, but playing a tape solved the problem. I am using the component video to my old 46" RCA rear projection. It drives a beautiful picture in any mode (TV, VCR, DVD). It is also very simple to program and use. I highly recommend it as an entry level device. And it has AM/FM radio to boot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.