AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine the flexibility of backing up all your data (pictures, your favorite videos .... etc) with 4.7GB of storage per disk and if it is available for less than a $... why not the initial setup cost ?

I purchased a HP 200i DVD Writer in mid 2002 for backing up MiniDV tapes so I could re-use the tapes and also make my own movies. Just today I tried to burn the first DVD and ran into problems due to some obvious reasons. The HP 200i supports only DVD+R (ignore RW formats for now because of cost) whereas the disks that I purchased from Livewarehouse are DVD-R for General. I did not realize earlier that the DVD+R was different from DVD-R. Coming to cost, I got a 50 pack DVD-R for general for just $50 (that is a $ per disk). The best price I could find for DVD+R was about $2/disk. Are there better deals for DVD+R media ? The next thing is the software solutions. HP 200i comes with a nice MyDVD 3.0 software. The interfaces look good but I do not know how well it performs. Is this the best software for making DVD movies (that comes free with the burner) ? Do we know yet whether DVD+R or DVD-R will survive or which is better and why ? I can sell the 200i for $250, but would it be worth upgrading to a drive that supports DVD-R with a good software ? If so what brands and how much are they ? How about speed ? Please post your comments.

Thanks,

-Jai

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Most of the discussion around here is concerned with -r not +r media, and I have an HS2 so I'm not too informed about +r either. Sorry...

But do you want to sell your spindle of 50 -r? What brand are they?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.