AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next step into the evergoing and expensive hobby now is installing a DVD-Writer. I have been waiting for the 8x speed units to come out. Every day it seems like more of them are coming out and on sale to boot.

Are there any particular brands that is better than the others? I do want a multi-format unit. Also has the software to write something to disc inproved any with these new units? I will most likely be putting HD (ts) to discs more than anything else.

Thanks,

Raymond

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am currently using a Pionner A04 for the last year and it has been put thru it's paces and held up well. Most discs burned with Ritek DVD-R's have been great for compatibility with stand alone players. I am currently looking to upgrade to the Pioneer A07 which does both DVD-R and DVD+R at 8X for about $160 these days. However, don't rule out Plextor either. I have two of their CD-R burners and one is 5 years old and still burning 50-75 discs a month! I consider the Plaxtor's the cadillac of burners when it comes to abuse but the Pioneer's are slowly winning me over too.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The DVD+R format seems to be getting the most push these days, but if compatibility with standalone DVD players is your primary goal, then use DVD-R media.

The Pioneer series (A06, A07) are the best of the bunch. Get one and use DVR-R media until the "plus" crowd forces this superior format out of existence.

The DVD-R/W format is the standard to which DVD players were made to read. While the "plus" format may have some enhancements to DVD-ROM reading & writing, it does nothing for DVD Video, and can actually hurt.

-Robert

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I have the Pioneer A06 myself and it works great!

It has been my experience that most DVD players can playback DVD-R media but not DVD+R media. So if I were you I would get either multi format recorder or DVD-R -RW recorder.

My two cents anyway!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the dual layer burners would be coming out around April. If not too expensive you might want to wait. Either to get one or the single layers might drop a lot more in price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.