AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this program yet? I have and it works great, but I can see people already using it for copying movies from rental places.

Any thoughts on this, I can see the samething happening down the road with this, as what happen with Copying CDs and downloading. They Movie industry will let it happen and then later down the road cry "WOLF" and start sueing customers that bought the program. Kind of ironic on how Napster fails and CD sales take a even bigger plunge. Also if they keep on suing 12 year olds CDs will die all togehter and of course that is what they want, so we will have to buy it online which will become another control issue. Sorry end of Rant...... ;)

· Registered
1,881 Posts
Actually, last I heard the makers of DVD XCopy are being sued. Fortunately, unlike with digital music downloads, the movie industry has absolutely no way of knowing who is making copies of movies. Plus, many argue (including myself) that making a personal backup of a DVD is perfectly legal. Consumers who use DVD XCopy also do not violate the DMCA because there is no prohibition against consumers cracking copy controls.

· Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Garman
Kind of ironic on how Napster fails and CD sales take a even bigger plunge.
Napster went away but a half-dozen replacements (all of which are much harder to shut down) took its place. Piracy of CDs only increased in the wake of Napster's demise.

· Registered
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fischer I agree, but it is once again ironic on how RIAA didn't factor in or figure out that DVD sales have taken a even bigger chunk out of CD sales, much more that downloading.

· Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
...RIAA didn't factor in or figure out that DVD sales have taken a even bigger chunk out of CD sales, much more that downloading.
I agree 100%. I already own every CD that has more than 3 songs I like. That means if I have $18 burning a hole in my pocket, I have a choice between buying 3 or fewer songs I like or a 2-hour movie. The movie gives me more bang for the buck, therefore I’ve completely stopped buying CDs. I know that some songs can be downloaded legally for a small fee, but there are many songs I like that aren’t available from Buymusic, and I refuse to pay subscription fees that other websites require.

· Registered
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure I haven't tried it yet. I think with DVD XCopy Gold you can. Also you might want to take a look at this......... Buy it while you can..... It might not be in stores if the Control Freaks in Hollywood have there way..

ProofTech, I couldn't have said it better. That is one of the reasons I buy more DVDs etc... I own a crapload of DVDS, I think MP3 sound like crap for the most part and I refuse to pay for download music I don't want. I want a Tangible product, something I can go out and get off my ASS and shop for.

· Registered
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Burke can you provide a link to "Shrink"

Nospam: well, I usually try to listen to the whole CD before I buy it. It is hard to judge a CD on only a few songs, but sometimes that is all the Consumer has to go by what is on the radio etc... So having bad taste in music has nothing to do with it... Sometimes you get a good artists that produces a few good songs and the rest are duds...

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Burke can you provide a link to "Shrink"

DVDshrink

I've played around with some, my fine demo disc...but can't get it to play on my Pio DV-C36. Plays fine in the 'puter.

· Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bosng
actually the makers of dvd xcopy are suing the movie industry. there is a notice of the lawsuit on their website.
The suits are going in both directions. See the 9/17/03 article on zdnet:

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5078419.html

where small fry Tritton is the latest company to be sued by the major studios. Pinnacle (the maker of Instant Copy) will probably also get pulled into litigation, this being an inevitable step in the strategy of "sue 'em all".

Thus, whether you think backup is fair or not, if you ever plan to do it, you should consider the purchase of such software, before it is banned.

· Registered
756 Posts
I haven't bought any cd's in years, with the exception of the recent series of Johnny Cash discs. The reason is simple, almost all the music I listen to is in the public domain and is available from people who really care about the music and don't use mp3. It is interesting that Jerry, from the highest grossing band ever said "Once I play the note, I'm done with it." It used to be that you put out an album to support a tour. With the real money being made on the road. Not anymore.

· Registered
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ollie W. Homes: It is more that fair to back up your data on a DVD or CD-R, if you want to copy DVDs and distribute them or sell them that is a different story. If Studios really want to make money they should stop where most of the problem is, and that is China and Hong Kong where most of the conterfieting of products takes place on a mass scale. Ollie I suppose they will go after the people who bought the "Legal" software after the courts are through making consumers once a target like the RIAA has. Frankly I think this will only hurt there sales.

High Def Best Buy sells it for $100 bucks or less.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.