AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that since DVDA and SACD are audio formats, why don't "They" market a player that does both these formats, but eliminates the video end. It seems to me there ought to be a market for a unit like this and it should be higher quality as well since it concentrates on audio only.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Sony markets a number of players that are audio only including:

SCD-1, XA-777ES, SCD-C555ES, SCD-C333ES, SCD-C222ES, SCD-CE775.

There are undoubtedly others from Sony, this is off the top of my head.

I am not certain, but think that the video processing is pretty much required by the DVD-A spec (the ability to playback any DVD-V / DVD-A disc) is the spec I'm thinking of.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
rt,

2 different formats requiring 2 different licensing fees. I am unaware of a DVDA player that does not provide DVDV, but there are a number of players (panasonic and there rebadged denon brethren) that turn off the video circuity during audio playback. From what I understand the Pioneer DVDAx10 will provide playback of both SACD and DVDA, but the SACD playback is only 2 channel. It does not meet your criteria, as it also provides DVD video ability.

We are early in this format war. Unless one is a clear winner I think you will begin to find affordable Multi-Format hi-rez audio players soon.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FYI, there is a progressive scan player put out by Apex that does both formats and lists for $350.00. I was just curious if there would be a market for audio only players that had both formats, but if video is part of the DVDA spec than I guess the question is moot.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You do have the option on the AX10 to completely turn of the video circuitry (OFF/ON/Auto) as well.

Even when the video circuitry is deactivate, the machine reads the "video data" between each track while playing a DVD-A. This is very annoying for me as it will take up to two seconds between each track, where you have dead silence. This would of course be unacceptable if you were listening to a "live" recording (concert).

John, do you know if this is only a problem with the first generation players? How would the machine behave if there were no video information stored during playback (mastered without it)? Would it then be a smooth transition between the songs?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Rob,

As I understand it (and Stacey knows much more about this)....

There's no "video information" between songs that isn't part of the audio object. This is what actually gets played back on a DVD-A disc.

Let me show you with this directory listing from our DVD-A technology article to illustrate my point:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...dio-folder.gif

The VOBs that you see in this are the opening credits, etc and the title menu.

No .VOB is playing "between tracks" -- as you're reading off the .AOB file.

Hopefully this directory listing clarifies things for you somewhat.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Okay, I might have misunderstood what a sales person tried to explain to me. So if it's not the video information that is read. What is the reason that it takes such a long time to change track. I really hope it's not due to MLP buffering as that could be difficult to solve without pre-reading the disc. You have tested a few DVD-A machines, what's your estimate average time it takes for changing track on the machines you have reviewed?

BTW: Nice article about DVD-A. SS didn't really get any huge responses when he posted that the article was ready. I guess people are still trying to figure out how MLP works…

Do you have any plans to make an article about SACD as well?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
In fact, JJ and I were discussing a similar SACD article as well today.

I have to send him an outline tomorrow, so stop asking so many questions ;)

The salesman was basically talking out of his a$$.

The amount of time to change tracks, "way too long", probably on the order of a few seconds.

It's doing seeks within the file, or if it extends beyond the end of the file (in either direction), then it has to refill the buffer for MLP decoding. Remember, the players don't have tons of RAM to use as scratchpad so they aren't reading ahead too far.

Regards,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.