AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I too was asking myself this question, as I was contemplating buying either a DVD-A or SACD player.

At the local Best Buy in Fairfield, this is what I found:

SACD - pricing 16.99 to 18.99. Around 70 titles, about 6 of them were multi-channel. Interestingly, they had Jeff Beck - Wired in Stereo for 16.99 and a separate version in Multi-channel for 18.99.

DVD-A - pricing around 22.99. Not as many DVD-A titles, but if you including the DVD Video multi-channel titles, along with the DTS albums, there was a better selection. DVD-V and DTS albums were around 19.99. Almost all of the DVD-A titles had Avanced Surround Sound.

Due to the lack of Multi-channel SACD titles available, I ended up buying a progressive scan DVD/DVD-A/CDR/CDRW/CD/MP3 player. I will probably end up buying a stand-alone SACD player in the future, unless it goes the way of the Betamax ;)

Graeme Black

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think that Sony learnt the lesson from Betamax. They're releasing a player that costs USD200, for the mass consumer...

SACD has more quality than DVD-A in theory. But everything really depends on how it was recorded.

I personally think that the SACD will succeed after the news that EMI and Virgin have chosen this high-resolution format for their new albuns.

Paulo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.