AVS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Single layer does not necessarily mean compressed. Supposedly the DVDFab conversion process from dual to single layer does not result in any loss in quality. Infuse will play these converted files back. The major limitations now are related to the MP4 container, i.e., lack of proper HD audio support, chapters, subs, etc.
thanks for the quick response. i have another question about this. to get this to work do i have to use the MP4.Dolby Vision Profile and select single stream (BL+RPU)?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Single layer does not necessarily mean compressed. Supposedly the DVDFab conversion process from dual to single layer does not result in any loss in quality. Infuse will play these converted files back. The major limitations now are related to the MP4 container, i.e., lack of proper HD audio support, chapters, subs, etc.
I have tried the conversion but I am not sure yet how they really do it. I would not be surprised at all if they just copy the HDR10 base layer and just add DoVi flags into the stream.
I would love to be taught otherwise, that their processing indeed incorporates the full DoVi enhancement stream into the main stream and creates the authentic Profile 5 DoVi stream.
Re chapters and subs - MP4 has no problem supporting them. They just need to be text-based.
I would first wrap the stream into MKV and then use Subler app to import chapter and subtitle streams from it into my MP4 file.
Subler will OCR the PGS subs into text subs on the go.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
I have tried the conversion but I am not sure yet how they really do it. I would not be surprised at all if they just copy the HDR10 base layer and just add DoVi flags into the stream.
I would love to be taught otherwise, that their processing indeed incorporates the full DoVi enhancement stream into the main stream and creates the authentic Profile 5 DoVi stream.
Re chapters and subs - MP4 has no problem supporting them. They just need to be text-based.
I would first wrap the stream into MKV and then use Subler app to import chapter and subtitle streams from it into my MP4 file.
Subler will OCR the PGS subs into text subs on the go.

I think the subs issue is that some folks have figured out how to get HDaudio into the MP4 container. But when you do that your need external subs.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Why is that, exactly?

Honestly I have no idea. Just as I have watched things advance, originally we only had lossy audio, someone then figured out how to get lossless in there but it wouldn't work with the subs.

I believe this takes more than dvdfab at this point. But it's not something I'm doing on my own just read about here and there.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Honestly I have no idea. Just as I have watched things advance, originally we only had lossy audio, someone then figured out how to get lossless in there but it wouldn't work with the subs.
It must be a player issue then. MP4 format has fundamentally no issues with multiple media tracks inside a single file.
For subs they just can not be bitmaps, they need to be timed text.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
OK - this is what I understand to be going on (apologies for necro-posting)

Dolby Vision UHDs are Dual Layer - and have three elements to them.
1. HDR10 (or HDR10+?) Base Layer h.265/HEVC stream
2. Dolby Vision RPU (Reference Processing Unit) Metadata stream
3. Dolby Vision EL (Enhancement Layer) h.265/HEVC stream (which may be lower resolution)

So there are two distinct elements to DV in UHD BDs in addition to the HDR10 Base Layer (that is played by non-DV UHD BD players)

The RPU stream is what carries the DV 'special sauce' that carries the DV Dynamic Metadata that displays use to optimise the display of DV mastered content on DV compatible displays.

The Enhancement Layer, as I understand it, is always present, and can be used to carry additional data that allows the 10-bit HDR10 source video to be expanded to 12-bit depth. It's effectively a compressed additional video difference stream I believe. Many DV UHD Blu-rays have minimal enhancement layer data - but some have significant EL content.

DVDFab takes HDR10/10+ base layer core video, and muxes in the RPU stream but doesn't (or didn't) process the enhancement layer. As a result you get the benefit of DV dynamic metadata and RPU processing in your display, but you may not get the benefit of 12-bit depth video IF your disc had an Enhancement Layer that provided it in the first place.

I may be wrong on this - but that is my understanding.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Since the TSMuxeR nightly got it all sorted with 2-stream Dolby Vision, i do not bother with DVDFab any more.
I can simply remux a BD rip and it plays back in Dolby Vision on my blu-ray player. As if played from optical disc. With TrueHD Atmos.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK - this is what I understand to be going on (apologies for necro-posting)

Dolby Vision UHDs are Dual Layer - and have three elements to them.
1. HDR10 (or HDR10+?) Base Layer h.265/HEVC stream
2. Dolby Vision RPU (Reference Processing Unit) Metadata stream
3. Dolby Vision EL (Enhancement Layer) h.265/HEVC stream (which may be lower resolution)
Interesting. I noted in some Dolby Atmos/Dolby Vision demo files I have for testing, its 4K HDR rec2020 10bit [email protected] profile, then another stream in 1920x1080

MediaInfo isnt able to do splitter tasks with the metadata for Dolby Vision and I dont even know if its actually there or not.

I add assume the two video streams + the metadata needs to be present within the container for it all to work

So far I havent seen HTPC based dolby vision files being played back, Dolby Atmos is no problem, but it doesnt seem to go further than 10 or 12 bit and bigger colour gamuts like rec 2020, no dynamic contrast/brightness like in Dolby Vision

cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since the TSMuxeR nightly got it all sorted with 2-stream Dolby Vision, i do not bother with DVDFab any more.
I can simply remux a BD rip and it plays back in Dolby Vision on my blu-ray player. As if played from optical disc. With TrueHD Atmos.
Exciting! Mate Id be super keen to get a small sample of this sort of content for testing purposes = its not a copyright problem. Can you expand on your chain for splitting, for decoding etcetc? What does MediaInfo say about the content?

cheers

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Does that remux a DL BD rip to an SL .ts, .mp4 or .mkv file, or does it keep it as a dual-layer stream for your BD player to replay. For those with Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K, nVidia Shield TV Pro (2019) that only play SL DV video - that's not a solution - and a DL->SL solution is still the only route.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Interesting. I noted in some Dolby Atmos/Dolby Vision demo files I have for testing, its 4K HDR rec2020 10bit [email protected] profile, then another stream in 1920x1080
Yes - that second 1920x1080 stream is the DV enhancement layer. I don't know if it actually contains hevc video (as kind of a difference overlay to increase bit depth) or if it uses the hevc codec's ability to carry custom data (so the data in the stream isn't conventional hevc video at all).

·
Registered
843 Posts
Exciting! Mate Id be super keen to get a small sample of this sort of content for testing purposes = its not a copyright problem. Can you expand on your chain for splitting, for decoding etcetc? What does MediaInfo say about the content?

cheers

The tool you will download from here: tsMuxeR 2.6.12 / 2020-09-25 Nightly Free Download - VideoHelp

21 - 34 of 34 Posts