AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may be aware the site was shutdown a few weeks ago, but they quickly moved to another server location. Now today it looks like there are two products: DVDFab and BluFab. DVDFab won't be sold anymore, but existing users will continue to get updates. BluFab is the new product going forward, but there is no decrypter!! So anyone know what happened? Sounds like they were forced or agreed to no longer sell software that decrypts, although they can continue to "support" software they already sold? I don't see how this will not result in the shutdown of the company. Existing users already paid for their copy, and no new money is going to come in for a ripper that doesn't even decrypt (BluFab), so how are they going to afford to support those current DVDFab users/licencees?

Damnit I had a quick method of ripping even troublesome Bluray subtitles, now it looks like I'll have to switch to something else and figure out a quick and easy way to deal with pgs subs again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm curious if the "support" includes updates to decrypt new releases or just updates to other features of the software. While I use AnyDVD, this has me a little worried about the future of ripping disks. If the ability to rip a Bluray went away for new releases, how would it change this hobby for you? I would probably do two things:

1. Buy current Blurays (like the Star Wars Saga) that I've haven't purchased for whatever reason to avoid the possibility of an encryption update on future releases.

2. Stop buying Blurays and purchase future movies on iTunes and accept the lower quality. I would continue to rent Blurays from Netflix.

While this question is the "doom and gloom" perspective. It's an interesting discussion on how this hobby would change if you couldn't store your movies on a computer for ease of playback.

·
Registered
12 Posts
From the posted Link by olyteddy
Quote:
Please note: Starting from this update 9.1.3.6, BluFab will no longer decrypt any DVD and Blu-ray protections. You will have to find other possible solutions if your disc is copyright protected.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy  /t/1523681/dvdfab-circling-the-toilet#post_24514195

Apparently you didn't know where to look: http://forum.dvdfab.cn/showthread.php?t=24830

Yes, thanks, I did see that. The question is if they have a strategy we don't know about yet to provide what their users want.

It will be difficult for them because, unlike other products, FAB phones home for keys. How to offer plausible deniability of such a scheme that will satisfy a judge?

FAB has some good features apart from decryption, but without that it's a problem for them.

-Bill

·
Registered
246 Posts
Will they still continue to update/sell Passkey? If so could users not just use that to handle the decryption aspect?

They could just be changing their marketing strategy/setup so you have one program to handle the protection (Passkey) then another to do any conversions/re authoring/burning (Blufab) then one for playback (Fab Media Player).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts