AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 625 Posts

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
I just re-ripped The Hunger Games - Catching Fire with DVDFab 9.1.3.1, and it had no problem phoning home (or it didn't need to). So in the short term the program still seems to be usable.

·
UHD Addict
38,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99  /t/1521928/dvdfab-website-blockked#post_24465357

I just re-ripped The Hunger Games - Catching Fire with DVDFab 9.1.3.1, and it had no problem phoning home (or it didn't need to). So in the short term the program still seems to be usable.

But the problem will be with updates won't it? There needs to be periodic updates to address new titles.

·
Registered
439 Posts
As mentioned, they won't go quietly. It's gonna be whack-a mole.

DVDFab announced:

"Existing bookmarks for either site may not work from some locations, so temporary sites for both are being prepared and will be online shortly,” a company spokesman says, pointing users to dvdfab.jp.

The dvdfab.jp website was specifically mentioned in the injunction, but it's still working for now. There will be no lack of websites hosting the software, can they all be banned?

Payments may be a more difficult proposition. The preliminary injunction prohibits several banks, along with PayPal, Amazon Payments, Visa and Master Card from processing the company's funds.

·
Registered
22,388 Posts
There are other 3rd party payer services besides PayPAl. We've been here before with both Fab and AnyDVD, and they got around it then. Shell companies and 3rd party payers. If I'm not mistaken, the domains are blocked only for US users.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ugh I wish I had updated..... Anyone have luck? I am a release or two behind.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001  /t/1521928/dvdfab-website-blockked#post_24467327

This I find funny. As these programs are used a lot for legit people backing up there programs. This will push people to more piracy.

These company's don't think.

Yup, but don't forget according to the industry it is illegal to rip your own copy, even if you purchased and physically possess... My guess the industry sees this as the only approach since the "hackers" are apparently a lot smarter than the folks in the industry responsible for the security/encryption of the discs ...

How long before AnyDVD is targeted???

·
UHD Addict
38,377 Posts
They are probably next on their list.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
They were ruled to violate the circumvention provision of the U.S.-only DMCA law, which makes it illegal to provide tools to rip copy-protected DVDs even for fair-use purposes. There is no similar law in most other countries.

The U.S. court can use its jurisdiction over domain-name registrars and payment processors with a U.S. base to enforce an injunction, but maybe they should be more prudent in applying those remedies. You can see why the rest of the world is becoming increasingly concerned and resistant to continued U.S. control over these vital parts of the internet economy. Expect more trouble in future negotiations over international control of the internet structure and international payment systems.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The problem has always been. If you buy a copy of the movie you own it.

I started back up and streaming because of my Daughter, and have had lots of DVD's that have gone bad. This is an investment for me and I don't want to throw away my money.

Heck it Kailadascape was cheaper and brought to the masses I could very well take off. But its not. Which make us do it our own way.

I want a untouched Blu-ray 1:1 copy and none of the streaming crap.

The more Hurdles these companies do will only piss off people. Wait till everyone relieses that they will need new receivers and blu-ray players for 4k because of copy protection. A lot of people just upgraded for 3d.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The free version of the program is still available on CNET's Download.com (U.S.-based), along with other DVD rippers. Quick, sue CNET!

·
Registered
13,312 Posts
I just downloaded the latest DVD Fab 9132 by going through the http://dvdfab.cn/ site.

This was tried once before and it didn't take long for them to punch holes through it. These are the guys that crack all the new BD+ protections within a day of the disks release -- when they are not doing that they are hacking into the secure sites of the industrial nations for the chinese government. Does anyone think taking down their domain is going to cause them even a drop of sweat?

Hollywood will never learn they are helpless.

1 - 20 of 625 Posts