AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sound: excellent ! the mix and the dolby. the dts will add ice on the cake soon ( in the fall of 2002, with superbit in 2003 ? :D ).

image: mmh, a bit worried. it didn't look so "filtered, processed" in the theaters ( it did but not as much as Peter writes it ). we'll see soon enough.

the movie: strongly disagree with Peter's opinion. he should have done more research about how the event occured. most of these somalis were on drugs, like zombies. surely, Scott didn't spend much time on the "other side" (to that extent, WE WERE SOLDIERS pays more attention to the VCs ).

BHD is a * * * * out of * * * * * to me

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi David,

I watched the DVD few days ago. Don't worry, the PQ is excellent.

As for the movie, I don't know. It just looks like a BIG MESS! Hard to believe if it's what really happened. Can't they just get out of there?

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Li

you got it already ?? argh!!!! :D

ah, you seem reassuring on the image. cool. (with the Pana ? ) have you done more screenshots with the Pana btw, of different movies ?

the story: it WAS a mess indeed, that's how it happened. very frustrating at times during the movie but it was like that.

cheers

David

·
Registered
912 Posts
It was a mess.

David is right, the Somolian men chew on a cocaine-like substance that is found in tree roots. This puts them into an aggressive mood about mid-afternoon when we were performing an extraction there. There are many factions in these countries with very little restriction on who can do what with a firearm. Everyone who is 13 or older had a rifle. Eventually the American presence became a negative image to these people and they attacked.

As for the review on DVD File: That's left-winged drivel. We're freaking Americans and this is an American movie. If he wants to list the enemy that died, he can make his own world-friendly flick. Did they list the Nazis that were killed at the end of Saving Private Ryan? Did they list the Viet Cong that died at the end of Platoon? I didn't think so. Those people were the enemy in an American film and do not deserve an "honorable mention" as our heroes do.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Patrick

hi. i fully agree with you ! :)

prior to the operation ,and it is reminded by Sam Sheppard, the civil war cost the live of 300,000 somalis. the UN was there to stop that and ensure (..... ) that the food and medical aid was delivered to the populatio, NOT to the rebels ( and terrorists, this is a nest ! ). the US were there to capture Hadid and his lieutenants, the "brain" of this civil (well, masacring ) war.

several elements lead to a "failure" and high casualties level by US standards:

- outnumbered

- heavily armed rebels (ground to air missiles, ground to ground rockets, machine guns , grenades, you name it ), incuding the population ( who was not told of course the westerners were there to help them )

- absence of AC130 gunships

- total failure of UN troops assistance (ok, the Malaysian helped a bit I think )

- and street fight is always one of the nastiest field of operation

- CIA failure.... (sounds familiar... )

Scott wanted to portray the operation, that's all, in an almost "LIVE" manner ( still 18hours resumed in 2 and 1/2 ). in that he succeeded.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
How was Li On able to view this DVD before the release date of June 11? I eagerly await this disc as I did not see it in the theaters. No DTS is a big dissapointment.

·
Registered
735 Posts
You might want to read this thread. One posts a review by one of the pilots of that operation.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...blackhawk+down

Quote:
Originally posted by Li On
Hi David,

I watched the DVD few days ago. Don't worry, the PQ is excellent.

As for the movie, I don't know. It just looks like a BIG MESS! Hard to believe if it's what really happened. Can't they just get out of there?

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Ahhh man that review was POOP.

If you watched BHD and had not read the book you would be confused to many issues. The Somalis where high on Khat and frankly were pretty pissed about a the Abdi House situation(Something like 12 TOW Missles were used to kill local Militia and other leaders). Many of us will remember the period as 4 Journalists were killed by the engraged crowd. The book contains the same "balls to the wall" approach that the book did. The book has multiple timelines going as it chronicles the efforts of the various "Chalks" to secure the downed Blackhawks. Mark Bowden the author was able to interview a few of the Somalis and unfortunately the movie coulld not add their perspective but like anything....the Book is ALWAYS better. Go read it if you haven't...you'll be riveted.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I avoided this movie in the theater because I figured there would be a left wing slant to the film, maybe not, I'll have to catch it on DVD. I did watch "The Real Black Hawk Down" on the History Channel. It is a 2 hour show that details what happened, with interviews of the actual soldiers that participated. Very eye opening, I would reccommend that if you have the opportunity, watch it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah, I watched it last night. PQ was pretty good.

Generally, film is slightly dark for my taste.

I missed it at theaters and didn't know this movie was over 2 hours long. But enjoyed it very much. But no DTS soundtrack!! :(

Well... I suppose......have to expect DTS on Superbit version.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.