Relevent specs:

- Radeon 9600 with component dongle cat 3.10

- Lite-on DVD drive

- WinXP

- 1776x1000 resolution

- TT

- Latest version of DVDidle

- Extensive use of girder and DVDSpy

I only need DVDidle to remove the macrovision (no autostart, no region free, no dvd idling, etc.) and believe I have it setup correctly.

Problem: Whenever DVDidle runs (set to run on DVD insert) it turns off the autorun feature in the Windows registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Serv ices\\CDRom

1 = autorun ON, 0 = autorun OFF

Not only does it turn it off (changes 1 to 0), but it keeps it turned off even after it closes. This necessitates going in and changing the 0 back to 1 manually. The problem is that it not only stops programs from launching on insert, but it also seems to eliminate the possibility that windows, girder, TT can even tell that a disc has arrived. Obviously this is no good for a DVDSpy launched girder multigroup. I have confirmed this problem also w/ TT. Even if TT and/or autokiller is set to launch on dvd insert, nothing happens if the swtich is set to 0.

Is there a setting in DVDidle that causes this behavior and how do you turn it off? If not, is there another CSS stripping program (AnyDVD, etc) that does not exhibit this behavior?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Bob,

Have you tried just running DVDidle at startup and leaving the "Run with DVD" unchecked? That's what I do and it doesn't impact any of the other things I run on my HTPC. I only use DVDidle to strip macrovision and remove user prohibitions.

I don't use DVDspy and I have autorun turned off on my drive FWIW.

Oh yeah, I also have autoplay turned on in TT and that still works with my configuration.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
j,

Haven't tried that start with Windows (rather than on DVD insert) option but will give that a shot.

Also, just to be clear. You can go into a drive's properties and tell that drive to 'take no action' when certain media is inserted (or when any media is inserted). Even if that is done, Windows can still tell that a disc has been inserted and simply 'takes no action' based on that event. When autorun is set to 0 in the registry, Windows can't even tell that an event has occured, ie, disc has arrived.

I have run across some other posts where someone seems to be complaining about the same symptoms, although they didn't seem to understand the cause, and nobody came back to comment on the issue.

BTW, I'm running the trial version til I get this working, if that makes a difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.