AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lurked on this forum and posted several times with not much of a luck of a reply at all. Perhaps I will get better responses from this post. I am looking at something like DVDLobby MediaLobby. I thought I could use this product but I can't even get it installed and the documentation is what I would call lacking and incomplete for users not familiar with the product.

I sent an email to Mario and he sent me demos of the product which perhaps do not work like the latest versions. This was not a good start, but the products are not really a suite and there is no integrated installation instructions or configuration instructions. Some are on a web page, some are in readme files and some are in windows help files. And none are complete or explain what the configuration options are or really how to troubleshoot the product.

I am willing to forgo that if there is nothing that someone here feels is more complete or a better product?

Any advice for a newbie?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well the post does not really desribe your problems ???

1) what are your issues that are not working out ??

2) have you posted on Mario's support forums ??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not want to detail the issues for Marios product on this forum as well as send him direct emails from above. I am trying to be patient in hope that I am just dense and missing something that is obvious.

Suffice it to say:

The installation instructions are lacking and I am not familiar with his product and cannot get even a simple DVD playing using the out of the box installation.

Summary:

1) It is unclear how the product all fits together and the only true installation code is for the Main Lobby product.

This product appears to be documented well with a PDF manual and everytyhing. However the installation configuration of this tool does not really exist. And I spent about 4 hours on their forums looking for the answers and links to files that were missing from the evaluation version that I would like to test.

2) The product suite requires additional products which are not mentioned very well as installation requirements.(what are the J River Plugins and what do they do and why do I need them)

3) There are 3rd party plugins that I apparently need but they are not posted with links on his site anywhere?

4) There is no list of supported 3rd party DVD or MP3 players.

So basically I have some evaluation software that is installed(I think) along with the prerequisites yet unusable to me because it does not tell me actually how to configure it properly.

I was however, looking for someone who knew of a product that might also be similar yet better packaged for new users. Perhaps when I get my feet wet I can figure it out but out of the box installation his product is not :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
You install MainLobby. To use DVDLobby you just unzip the zip file into the c:/program files/cinemar directory or wherever you installed MainLobby. That's it.

DVDLobby is an .mls file that can be opened and edited just like your Mainlobby scene. You can create a button in Mainlobby that is linked to it. I know DVDlobby for sure comes with a help file. I'd be willing to bet that Musiclobby does as well. They are actually windows help files not readme's or PDF documents. Look for dvdlobby.chm and musiclobby.chm, or something similar in the Cinemar directory. I would imagine that Musiclobby works very similar to DVDlobby so what I describe above probably applies to both.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Question #1: Answered by gtrogue

Question #2: Requirements for running DVDLobby and MusicLobby

To run MusicLobby you will need:

MainLobby 2

J River Media Jukebox 8 or J River Media Center 9 – You will need this to playback MP3’s.

MusicLobby Server Plugin (Free from Cinemar & included with MusicLobby)

To run DVDLobby you will need:

MainLobby 2

DVDLobby was originally designed to control a Sony DVD changer but now has support for software DVD players as well.

If you want to view and launch a collection of physical DVD’s you will need:

A Sony DVD Mega Changer (Sony DVP-CX875P)

Nervis Slink-e Interface – links your Sony Mega Changer to your PC.

If you want to view DVD’s located on your hard drive or DVD ROM drive:

A software DVD player is required –TheaterTek or Zoomplayer are recommended

DVD Profiler 2 – Easy way to catalog your DVD collection and provide cover art to DVDLobby. (Free for the standard version)

Question #3: At this time the only supported MP3’s players are from J. River and listed above.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think what may be confusing you about MusicLobby is that you have to actually purchase the J River Jukebox or Media Center seperately. It is installed on its own according to its own procedure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1a) No offense but you are right DVDLobby comes with a help file that is basically nothing. It is attached and tells me nothing except how to connect it up to a changer which I don't want to do right now.

1b) Music Lobby does not come with help file but a pointer to the help screen on Cinemar's site.

1c) I understand the concept of how logically it fits together but it does not tell me how to put it together was my point :)

2)

MusicLobby:

Good answer re: the J River stuff where is that documented? I will check out the other products but I am assuming I have to purchase those?

DVDLobby:

I understand the changer stuff but the reason I am evaluating it is I have a bunch of ISO images on my HD I want to mount with Daemon Tools and play via this interface.

The DVD changer is next step I hope :)

According the forum there is an ISO plugin for this but I cannot find it? It probably does not come with the evaluation version so perhaps someone can email it to me or provide a link/upload so I can test.

I have DVD Profiler 2 working and have only imported one DVD for testing since this is an evaluation.

However, I cannot get either the AVI plug-in or the ISO(cause I don't got it) to play it. I have looked at the directory structure naming stuff on the forum but it still does not point to my problem. Is there error logging I can turn on or a way to understand what the configuration options are on the DVD Lobby config screen?

Also, I don't believe the Eval version has the field mentioned also on the forum regarding putting in the path to launch daemon-tools.exe. It does not appear but perhaps you have to have the ISO plugin for that.

Again thanks for your help but due to the lack of documentation on a step by step configuration faq it is difficult to piece it all together. Perhaps I will post on on his site if I get it all working :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
There is a "whats changed in this version" readme file for DVDLobby that has additional information it. The answer to your ISO image playback problem may be in it.

Besides the changer and image playback support almost everything in the MainLobby PDF help also applies to DVDLobby (adding buttons, Girder events, etc.).

As far as putting everything together, DVDLobby and MusicLobby are MLS scene files. You put them together with MainLobby just like you would anything else. If you add a button and go to its edit properties you have an option to jump to a scene when it is clicked. You would but the dvdlobby.mls in the field and voila, when you hit the button you go to DVDLobby. I'm fairly certain the MainLobby help file explains how to edit buttons.

Another thing to know. If you launch MainLobby from a shortcut make sure the shortcuts "Start In" field is pointing to the directory the MainLobby MLS file is in, usually where you installed MainLobby. If you don't, MainLobby and DVDLobby will not function correctly. I don't use MusicLobby but it stands to reason it will act the same way. I made this mistake and DVDLobby wouldn't actually do anything (no playback, nothing). I corrected the problem and it worked fine.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Try Xlobby. It's free. Works with winamp (free) for music, and zoomplayer for DVD's. It's also rather easy to set up. I'ts obviously not as polished, but many are happy with it. I too tried the trail version of Mainlobby found it cumbersome to fully try it out. www.explode.ca

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.