AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after much troubleshooting DVDLobby Pro Version 1.21 is now ready for the public. (Don't be fooled by the version number - it really should be V1.5 but was left as 1.21 to match Larry's Menu Maker program)

For those of you who are unfamiliar with DVDLobby Pro - here are a few links:
Cinemar's DVDLobby Pro Website
First Original AVS Forum Thread about DVDLobby Pro
DVDLobby Pro Menu Maker (Thanks to Larry Rowland)
Slinke - used in conjunction with DVDLobby Pro to control external DVD Changers

http://www.webpromotion.com/cinemar/...180tvbox04.gif http://www.webpromotion.com/cinemar/...180tvbox01.gif http://www.webpromotion.com/cinemar/...180tvbox05.gif

Here is a list of the new features and changes found in DVDLobby Pro Version 1.21:

- DVDProfiler support (import data and DVD covers from Intervocative's DVDProfiler) This feature requires DVDLobbyPro Menu Maker Version 1.21 which is available for free.

- User option on startup to change main movie image action to PLAY MOVIE or WEB PAGE when clicked

- Display thumbnails on startup

- Display Action Panel on startup

- Display up to 10 different skins instead of 6 on startup

- Change background skins using new keyboard shortcuts directly from within DVDLobby Pro. No need to load the setup program and then reload DVDLobby Pro.

- Moved movie images to a separate images directory

- Movie images now use a four digit sequence in an effort to display them properly in numerical order. (you'll be able to rename them easily with a batch rename program) ie dvd0001.jpg, dvd0002.jpg, etc.

- Batch files are also named with a four digit sequence but remain in the fscommand directory

- Only numbers can now be entered below the Movie Poster frame

- Screen no longer flashes black for a second when closing thumbnails

More features are still being worked on and will most likely be free in future updates:

- Screen Savers

- Motion Background Skins

- Additional buttons incorporated into the draggable Action Panel

- More great free background skins

- etc.

To find out how to upgrade stop by the
DVDLobby Pro web page for more details.

Other DVDLobby Pro Features

- Launch the selected movie (MPG, AVI, VOB, etc)

- Launch an html page for each movie (Movie Trailers)

- Preview up to 28 movie image thumbnails at a time

- Add an unlimited number of DVD Covers/Posters

- Automatically scales DVD images to the proper size

- Increased 16x9 scalable resolution (848x480)

- Includes 9 background skins

- Create your own look and feel using skin technology

- Launch an MP3 sound/song on startup

- New Setup program configures your startup options

- Adjust fade rate (slow, medium, fast)

- Adjust AutoPlay delay time in-between images

- Quickly enter a number and jump to a specific DVD

- Find DVD's without going into your DVD Changer

- DVDLobby Pro supports keyboard shortcuts allowing total control from your keyboard or remote control

- Friends can view your collection online

- Keeps your DVD's organized

A special thanks goes out to all those who have helped out with the developments of this latest release especially Sean and Larry.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Mario,

I purchased DVDLobby Pro v1.20 less than a month ago. The web site asks for $10 to upgrade to v1.21. Is this correct? If so, are you planning to charge $10 for every point upgrade which over the course of a year could cost customers a humdred dollars including the initial purchase; I'm not sure that is what I had in mind when I bought it. Hopefully, you will clear this up.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Don,

I certainly see your concern. I thought I wrote about upgrades and pricing in the other thread, but it's probably lost in the 20+ pages. The $10 upgrade wasn't a surprise if you read through the thread. Also, don't be fooled by the version number only being 1.21 - there are some good upgrades. It was called V1.21 for simplicity sake.

I don't plan on attacking pockets of users with constant upgrade fee's. Only when the upgrade requires a large amount of my time to implement (I spent about 200 hours in the past 30 days). The number of requests are fading as the software features increase; therefore additional fees wouldn't be warranted. Some features people request take days or weeks to create (Thumbnail feature took well over a month before working properly).

You'll also notice that users are not penalized for purchasing early since the street price has gone up with every upgrade. Most users who jumped on early have only paid $15 for every feature up to Version 1.20d.

All of the features I've been adding have been requested through the forum - essentially allowing the forum members to design their own software package for a very small fee.

If anybody knows someone that's willing to work for $1.80/hr which is about what I've made based on sales, I'd be happy to hire them to continue development. :)

There are features that I plan on offering free of charge if you read above and there will likely be many more.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
OK,

i just exchanged pleasantries with Mario and i (many) support his hard work and he has obviously gone out of his way to implement an awesome interface according to the needs/wants of us forum members.

Unfortunately, i am probably one of many who just prefer the looks of the interface and the profesionnal presentation this program offers for us HTPC users without all the extra features.

Here is the deal (i like deals:) ). Mario has agreed to a small group buy if i can gather 2 more people that would like to purchase version 1.2d which is the version just before this for a very reasonable $15. This version is stable (better be:) ) and has the ability to incorperate batch files, etc. The price was $25 for this version just a day or two ago but as i mentionned if i can find 2 more people interested he will sell his software for $15 a piece (save $10). This is the price ($15) when DVD Lobby first came out.

**Let's be clear that those wishing to have version 1.2d at this special discount will have to make up the difference if they decide to upgrade to the latest version! So if we buy the software for a measely $15 just for it's sleek interface with all but a couple of features of this latest release, the differnce of $20 will need to be made up if anyone of us decides to purchase/upgrade. This is the condition of the group buy and i think it's fair.

Sounds like a win/win situation for a few of us :D Whomever is interested send me a PM.

·
Registered
254 Posts
mcascio:

Ok now you have sold me.... :D (I like bells and whistles)

I still have a question for either you or Larry.

What all can DVD Lobby Pro Menu Maker do with this new version? The name implies that it can it be used to create sub-menus for DVD Lobby (to launch other apps.) Can this be done? The web site is a bit vague on this.

Also can individual buttons be replaced without replacing BG images?

I would just like a way to customize the softwares look to match other skinnable apps. so everything is consistent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is this software well suited to a HTPC that mainly plays DivX movies? The movies change often so I can't be bothered with software that requires me to do all sorts of input (Media-Box is a good example of this problem). Just need something that looks in a folder for certain filetypes and displays them in a decent GUI.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Nedder,

Yes and no. I use my HTPC primarily for DivX and HDTV, with DVDLobby handling the DivX side of things. You will have to have some sort of app that gathers data for your movie files (this is where MediaBox shines), and then some utility that exports the data in a manner for DVDLobby to utilize it (I wrote my own).

DVDLobby is not an automatic media management system, but it is a great frontend once you have accumulated the data.

Rich

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nedder - just to correct - actually, it requires less time and input to add new content.

All you have to do is paste a shortcut to your divx/whatever in the XML media folder and answer yes/no to some dialog boxes that pop up. No need to use multiple GUIs and applications from different vendors to create proprietary non-standards compliant files. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Kon is 100% correct...(he should be, he's the author of Mediabox)

Mediabox provides an integrated suite of applications to gather (automagically) data for your media, and then presents it in a browser, as well as providing a media player to view the content.

DVDLobby provides just the frontend for browsing, with some scripting (bat files) for launching the media. The player is a 3rd party app of your choice, and the data gathering is manual (DVDLobbyPro Menu Maker for example).

If you're looking for a more automated way to manage your media and navigate through it, Mediabox is more what you're describing. DVDLobby requires more user configuration.

Regards,

Rich

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Questions for Mario and Larry Rowland re the Menu Maker utility:

1. Is it possible to use MenuMaker to create a batch file template for playing .wav files using Winamp? Or is it restricted to playing .mp3s?

2. How difficult would it be to modify Menu Maker to work with CDLobby Changer? It would need to create image and batch files numbered with "CD0001" instead of "DVD0001," but everything else would be the same, right?

Mario, check your Paypal.

- Ken W.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ken,

You could change the template in MenuMaker to play wavs, mp3, or divx or any other file type by changing the template in the Settings dialog.

If you wanted to change the name of the batch files the program outputs, download the source code and change it in the exe. Then recompile it to a new version (this assumes you have VB6). The initial part of the file name is hard coded to work with DVDLobby. I would do it or even make it variable but I don't have the time right now (work is taking all my time for the next month or so).

Larry

Quote:
Originally posted by K-Wood
Questions for Mario and Larry Rowland re the Menu Maker utility:

1. Is it possible to use MenuMaker to create a batch file template for playing .wav files using Winamp? Or is it restricted to playing .mp3s?

2. How difficult would it be to modify Menu Maker to work with CDLobby Changer? It would need to create image and batch files numbered with "CD0001" instead of "DVD0001," but everything else would be the same, right?

Mario, check your Paypal.

- Ken W.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simonduz

What all can DVD Lobby Pro Menu Maker do with this new version? The name implies that it can it be used to create sub-menus for DVD Lobby (to launch other apps.) Can this be done? The web site is a bit vague on this.

B]
simondiz,

I have tried the new version of DVDLobby yet but I think it adds the information from DVDProfiler to a info screen within DVDLobby. The MenuMaker utility I wrote creates a file (from DVDProfiler data) that DVDLobby uses.

The program can not create submenus per-se but it can call batch files that would then call any program you like - including another instance of DVDLobby that is setup with various applications. This is how I have mine setup. I have a DVDLobbyPro for DVDs (through a Kenwood changer), one for MP3s/Playlists (through Winamp), one for MPEGs/AVIs (Media Player 7), two for Programs (Utility/Setup and Office Applications), and one for Favorite webpages (like avsforum.com).

Larry

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here is a general question.I bought DVDlobby pro and DVD profiler but before I Keep going with this project I would like to know where is going to.Are there any plans for CDlobbypro to control the slinke CDJ program?If it is then I will follow up all the way thru.My plan is to control thru a touch screen interface that I am building my Kenwood DVD player for movies and Sony CD changers with CDlobby.I just want to have uniform interfaces for all my media.

Thank you

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote:
can call batch files that would then call another instance of DVDLobby that is setup with various applications
Larry, did you create/customize all of seperate instances of DVDLobby with Menu Maker or did you change the code manually? Could you post a screen shot of the other DVDLobby setups you have?

Just trying to understand how this was done since you have already accomplished what I would like to do with this.

Thanks.

Maybe a seperate thread is needed for posting your changes to DVDLoby?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:
Larry, did you create/customize all of seperate instances of DVDLobby with Menu Maker or did you change the code manually? Could you post a screen shot of the other DVDLobby setups you have?

Just trying to understand how this was done since you have already accomplished what I would like to do with this.

[/b]
I did not modify DVDLobby - I don't have the source code and it is Mario's application.

I did install multiple copies of DVDLobby into multiple directories. There is one master DVDLobby that calls the other six copies. I only used my DVDLobby MenuMaker Utility for the DVD version - the rest were done by hand. I'll post screenshots on my web page later today or tomorrow.

Larry

·
Registered
36 Posts
All you have to do is paste a shortcut to your divx/whatever in the XML media folder and answer yes/no to some dialog boxes that pop up.

Huh? There is no such folder in the media-box installed dir. No offense but you can't expect a new user of your software to know how to setup this stuff. The docs don't mention or are very vague and the wizard really doesn't do much.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Way cool... :D I am having fun with this.

Couple of questions.
The Action Panel:
  • Is there any way to add functional buttons to it?
  • Can you change the button on the Action panel that turns on the thumbnails so that it toggles them on and off? They currently cannot be turned off unless you restart the app. (I know there is a hot key to turn them on also but it does not turn them off. I thought it would be nice as a clickable feature also.)
  • When clicking on the web link button IE opens in the background. Can this be changed so that it is the foreground app when launched?(this also happens then clicking on the image)

Thanks

1 - 20 of 510 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.