AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVDO and LT150 Solution!!!

250 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  noah katz 
#1 ·
For those of you with both an iScan and an LT150, you may have encountered a problem outputing a component signal to the projector via standard VGA 15 pin cable. The obvious advantage to sending a component versus an RGB signal to the LT150 is that you get aspect ratio control, color adjustments, etc., with the former but not the latter. If you're like me and have an interlaced DVD player, you obviously want to run the DVD player through the iScan and then into the projector to take advantage of the iScan's superior deinterlacing capabilities.

Trouble is, the LT150 (and other NEC projectors I'm told), gets confused when the iScan tries to output a component signal to the projector with a VGA cable. The resulting picture is green and gray.

After talking with Baptiste (sp?) at iScan, he said he's unclear as to why the NEC has trouble with the component output of the iScan since it's a standard component signal, but he did acknowledge that accepting a component signal via VGA connector is unusual and may be the problem. He then offered a workaround that a customer with a VT540 came up with. Hypothesizing that the projector's confusion is caused by information travelling through the VGA cable that would otherwise be unecessary for a component signal (ie., the H and V sync on pins 13 and 14, possibly the Data Clock on pin 15 etc.), the solution is to stop transmission of all superfluous information on the VGA cable when outputing component. This means that you disconnect all but pins 1,2,3,6,7,and 8 (which are all that component utilizes).

I tried this experiment on a $15 VGA cable from Radio Shack by breaking off pins 4,5,9,10,11,12,13,14,and 15 on the end I connect to the iScan. Voila! It worked! I can now feed all video sources (DVD, DBS, S-VHS) through the iScan and then to the LT150, and still get aspect ratio control, color adjustments etc. This is a much better solution for me than buying a VGA breakout cable since I can run the DVD player through the iScan and I don't need to physically switch cables at the LT150 when I change video sources.

FYI, I also just ordered a custom Silver Serpent VGA cable from Better Cables and instructed them only to solder pins 1,2,3,6,7, and 8 (leaving the others free so that I could have them modify it back to a true VGA cable at a later date if need be). This is, in my view, preferable to breaking pins off at the connector.

So there you go. DVDO owners rejoice.

Kirk

BTW, I think Darian or someone may have suggested that something like this would work in an earlier thread.

[This message has been edited by Kirk (edited 08-10-2001).]

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Darian, have you tried this yet?

#3 ·
You only need to disconnect pins 13 and 14. You can leave the rest. I've done this on my LT155 and the LT150 when I had it for tryout. Yahoo did a post on this in the DVD forum under Skyworth to let you know which pins are 13 and 14. It works and is cheap(Free)

Scott

#4 ·
Good to know Scott.

#5 ·
Drmyeyes also did it for the VT540.

I think this works with most NEC projectors. It works with my MT1040, but I use a BNC breakout cable and 3 BNC/RCA adapters. Its a cleaner solution than breaking off pins.

------------------

Ken Elliott

#6 ·
Just curious...

If I use an iScan Plus V.1 with the LT150 and disconnect pins 13 and 14 on the VGA cable, will I be able to do the following:

1. Watch anamorphic DVDs using the projector's 16:9 CINEMA setting?

2. Watch standard 4:3 or letterboxed material using the projector's NORMAL setting?

3. Watch 4:3 material squeezed into a 16:9 portion of the panel using the NATIVE Mode?

For now, I only have an interlaced DVD player and in the absence of an iScan, would probably just be using the S-video feed. I'm thinking that buying a used iScan Plus would be a good step if I'll be able to at least control the CINEMA, NORMAL and NATIVE settings (not interested in the Zoom and Wide Zoom).

Also, for the above to work, the iScan's color space setting should be set to Component, right? What should the corresponding color matrix setting be on the the LT150 for this set-up?

Thamks in advance.

- Sonny B.

#7 ·
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Haven't tried it, but think so.

You are correct, iScan set to component.

#10 ·
Thanks guys for the response.

I guess the only go around to projecting a small 4:3 image in the center of a 16:9 screen with an iScan is to use the squeeze mode of the iScan Plus V.2 or the iScan Pro...won't be able to do it with the V.1

Cheers,

- Sonny

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.