AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to start a new thread with this question, but I couldn't find any relevant direct comparisons in the other threads.

I'm getting ready to revamp my front projection system downstairs, and am debating between two different setups as far as video processing is concerned. For reference, my current projector is a Panasonic ae3000u, and sources are a PS3, a Panasonic BD-35k, a Toshiba HD-XA2, a DirecTV H20 via component (I think; it's the non-DVR HD receiver), and a Dell XPS M1330 to stream video to my projector system from my HR20 (HD-DVR) in the upstairs family room (it actually works well; I've tried it).

Okay, so I'm moving all of my equipment to a closet outside the theater (finally) and the theater will now be JUST a theater (instead of a theater/exercise room/guest room). I have been using an Onkyo TX-SR805 as a pre/pro for about a year, with a Sunfire Signature Seven amp, and have been pleased. When I got the Panny ae3000u, I was less-than-thrilled with its processing of SD material from the DirecTV receiver, and even with its processing of the HD material. It seemed to have more jaggies and be softer compared to the ae1000u it replaced. To be fair, it hasn't been ISF-calibrated, yet (but will).

So, I currently have an unopened Onkyo TX-SR876 and an unopened DVDO Edge waiting to be hooked up. However, I got to thinking, using both would probably be overkill. So, which do most here think would be better:

1) the DVDO Edge with my existing 805, and sell the 876

2) the 876 alone, and sell the Edge

3) the Edge with the 876, and put the 805 into storage for future use (soon) in another room (I already have a Onkyo 703 in storage)

I'm looking for opinions based primarily on video processing and ISF calibration capabilities, and not so much with the number of inputs/outputs. Does anyone have experience with a direct comparison of the video processing capabilities including color accuracy/gamma between the Edge and the 876?

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump for opinions (since I posted this in 2008, and here it is already 2009 and I haven't gotten one reply!)

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last bump attempt

·
Registered
829 Posts
I don't have Onkyo's Reon based AV receivers, but from what I read on this forum, their implementation is not that great. Some users had commented that the video performance was not as good as other Reon based players like XA2. Plus, those receivers do not have the adjustments like Edge.

Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude /forum/post/15501082

I don't have Onkyo's Reon based AV receivers, but from what I read on this forum, their implementation is not that great. Some users had commented that the video performance was not as good as other Reon based players like XA2. Plus, those receivers do not have the adjustments like Edge.

Just my two cents.

Thanks. That's kind of the gist that I got reading the threads, although it sounded like the Reon implementation in the 876 was better than that in the 875. More than likely I'll try them both out and use my HQV disc to assess which is better. 99% of my need is for my DirecTV for my projector setup.

·
Registered
214 Posts
From what I have learned from users in the know on video processing,I am just passing this on to you is that the edge is best at de interlacing film and I assume scaling,such as movies,Tv dramas and DVD material.I own an Edge,and from what I see it does a great job with improving my Cable feed HD also.

I do not own a reon product but did consider the Onyko 906 before I bought my Yamaha 3900,but it is suppose to be best at deinterlacing and scaling Video such as sporting events and documentries.

So you may want to consider using both individually in your system and do some experimenting as a lot of these tests and recommendations are subject to your source material and viewing habits.

I am not one for giving advice as I am still learning myself.Just passing on what i have been told.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar interest as schroedk in his original post. 805 with edge vs 875 vs ? I would be interested in hearing back from you (schroedk) to see if you have learned anything by trial or from sources other than this thread?

I have an 805 I got in July 2007. Still has the original firmware: 1.04/07614A.

I have a new Tivo HD (the big one with 2 tuners). For a DVD player I have an older Panasonic PV-D4762 that is a combo VHS - DVD player. For monitor I just got a new Panny 58" plasma (TH-58PZ800U.

I have the Comcast signal going to the Tivo via a good HDMI; the video goes to the new Panny plasma via a good HDMI. THe old Panny player connects to the 805 via optical for audio and component for video.

I am fairly happy with the video I am getting. The HD from Comcast through the Tivo is great. The video from the 480 DVD, and even from a camcorder signal fed in via AUX 2, is good. But I may not know if it can be better.

I have done some reading on the AVS 805, 875 and 876 forums and am having trouble sorting out if I am good to go with my 805, or if I need firmware upgrades for it, or if i should get an 876 or a 905 or stick with my 805 and get something like a DVDO Edge.

So, what is your latest thinking, schroedk? Or others?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush1 /forum/post/15672463

I have a similar interest as schroedk in his original post. 805 with edge vs 875 vs ? I would be interested in hearing back from you (schroedk) to see if you have learned anything by trial or from sources other than this thread?

I have an 805 I got in July 2007. Still has the original firmware: 1.04/07614A.

I have a new Tivo HD (the big one with 2 tuners). For a DVD player I have an older Panasonic PV-D4762 that is a combo VHS - DVD player. For monitor I just got a new Panny 58" plasma (TH-58PZ800U.

I have the Comcast signal going to the Tivo via a good HDMI; the video goes to the new Panny plasma via a good HDMI. THe old Panny player connects to the 805 via optical for audio and component for video.

I am fairly happy with the video I am getting. The HD from Comcast through the Tivo is great. The video from the 480 DVD, and even from a camcorder signal fed in via AUX 2, is good. But I may not know if it can be better.

I have done some reading on the AVS 805, 875 and 876 forums and am having trouble sorting out if I am good to go with my 805, or if I need firmware upgrades for it, or if i should get an 876 or a 905 or stick with my 805 and get something like a DVDO Edge.

So, what is your latest thinking, schroedk? Or others?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'll definitely let you know what I find out. I won't be able to hook things up for another 2-4 weeks (it's killing me, but my contractor of course is taking his time).

As far as the 805, I simply pass-through all my video sources with it alone. It's definitely not a good unit for video processing. My plan right now is to hook up both and try to do as many A/B comparisons as possible, primarily with 480i and 1080i material from SD-DVDs and my DirecTV HD receiver, but other resolutions as well.

I'll try to post my findings/opinions on this thread, but let me know if there's anything specific you want me to compare.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Currently using an Edge with my Onkyo 805 to my PJ. My emphasis is on blu ray playback from my PS3 but DirecTV is my secondary concern. I sold my XA2 before the Edge arrived so I can not comment on that. You will absolutely see a difference between the EDGE and the 805 for DIRECTV. Set your diretv box to "native" and let the EDGE handle the processing. I am using a Sony VPL-VW60 but beofre that was a Panny 2000.

Have fun!

Best,

Chris

PS I would update that firmware in the 805 though...

·
Registered
4 Posts
schroedk, I will be looking forward to your future posts!

I am reading and hearing good things about the job the DVDO Edge does in upscaling 480 sources to 1080p. Can get one from Amazon for $599.

Hey CCONKLIN1: I have never done a firmware update. I have read a lot of warning that you can screw the set up if you don't know what you are doing. I am a retired engineer (not an electrical engineer) that does a lot of hands on things. So I can follow directions and be careful. I would be interested in your thoughts on trying to do it myself vs sending the unit off to an Onkyo service center. Per their website I do not have one in my city. Can any good electronics shop do it for me? How tough is it to do yourself? Are there some good instructions out there for downloading and installing the firmware updates for my 805? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/15430050

Bump for opinions (since I posted this in 2008, and here it is already 2009 and I haven't gotten one reply!)

I have very similar questions and started a thread as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1132501
DVDO Edge or Toshiba HD-XA2 for SD DVD conversion?

I have been using a Toshiba HD-A35 to a Panasonic PT-AE1000U through a Yamaha HTR-6090 (doesn't pass 1080p/24fps, only 1080p/60fps) for almost 2 years. It has looked great.

I just picked up a Toshiba HD-XA2, a DVDO Edge and I have a Panasonic PT-AE3000U on the way. I wanted the DVDO Edge so I could split the HDMI signal and send HD audio to the receiver and 1080p/24fps to the projector. The incredible upconversion for my rather large VHS, laserdiscs and SD DVD collection was also a huge selling point. I will max out the Edge's connections using the composite video for LD, the S-video for S-VHS, the analog audio for VHS, component for HDTV video and Toslink for HDTV audio, also 3 HDMI inputs (PS3, HD-XA2 and a XBox 360 Elite).

The DVDO Edge seems like a great deal for $800 Canadian!

Back to my main point, will I get much benefit of having an XA2 now that I have the DVDO Edge? What settings and outputs would you suggest?

How will the HD-A35, HD-XA2, PS3 and the DVDO Edge compare for SD DVD upconversion?

I am open to other combinations and uses; I have a LG BH-200, a Samsung BD-5000, a PS3, a HD-A30, HD-A35 and recently a new HD-XA2.

Maybe subscribe to it and between us we can come to some solid conclusions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.