AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a DVDO edge for it's zoom function so I can fill my screen. I know you guys are going to flame me over this but I can't stand the black bars on wide screen movies.

So my question is. Does the zoom feature ruin the image quality if zoomed enough to get rid of the black bars?

I have had a few dvd players in the past that could zoom but it just made the picture too blurry.

I am now using a blu-ray player on a 120" screen how do you think it will look using the DVDO to get rid of the black bars?

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I won't flame you for asking (as I don't have to watch your screen, so why should I care?
).

You have to set the Edge zoom to approx 33% to achieve what you want I believe, which means you'll be watching something akin to a 720p picture in terms of quality if starting with a BluRay. If you feel this looks OK, then just use it, you can only try. Another option is to use the 4:3 letterbox AR control, but that will distort the image making everything tall and thin. Zooming to 33% will obviously crop a considerable amount off the sides of the 16:9, so choose your poison.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have an edge hooked into a jvc rs2 and i use a 16:9 screen.I routinely use the zoom function on blueray discs to get rid of the black bars and i don't really notice any loss of resolution.the improvement of no bars exceeds maybe a little loss of resolution but to my eye's I don't notice any.

·
Registered
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman24 /forum/post/18157408

I have concidered it and it is still one of te options I am thinking about doing.

It seems like many people here on avs are happy with masking

The Edge really features an excellent zoom function. 100% customizable. VRS scaling, while not the very best, is still an excellent scaler. You will lose very little picture quality. I own an Edge, and as long as you don't abuse the zoom control, you won't be loosing much picture quality.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boy you guys are making it tough now. If I don't see much difference in picture quality that would be great. How do SD DVD's look zoomed enough to get rid of the black bars compaired to the bluray disks?

I own about 400 dvd's and around 20 blu-ray disks so it's important to me to have the SD look good as well.

Thanks for the replies I have gotten so far.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman24 /forum/post/18163332

How do SD DVD's look zoomed enough to get rid of the black bars compaired to the bluray disks?

I own about 400 dvd's and around 20 blu-ray disks so it's important to me to have the SD look good as well.

Thanks for the replies I have gotten so far.

SD dvd's look just as stunning, as long as they are dual layer or enhanced for widescreen, since these are mostly in production now, it's hard to find a DVD that isn't enhanced for widescreen. Older dvd's might not look as good though, but will come close.

I use the 4:3 aspect button to get rid of the black bars, and unless you've got laser vision, you won't notice a difference at all in picture quality, bluray also looks perfect without black bars either.

If you zoom your cable box to 33%, and apply 4:3 stretch to it afterwards on movie channels it will make the image look stretched (no black bars)...but I find that optically the retina sensitizes to the image after a few seconds...some older DVD's with odd aspect ratios will definatly look stretched though, so you have to tolerate it somewhat sometimes.

The older star wars trilogys had this problem when stretching, but the latest trilogy release actually has better aspect ratio etc.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I will tell you what I do when watching a 235 movie on my 106 inch 16x9 screen. I have an electric screen so I just raise it till the bottom is even with the picture. The top being visible does not bother me when watching a movie. The bottom did really bother me. I was thinking of dropping a curtain from the screen case to the top of the screen in the 16x9 position and when the screen raises to the 235 position it will be masked but never got around to it yet. This is a cheap way of masking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only reason i bought an Edge was so i would be able to "zoom away" the black bars on 2.35 content. I am using it with a JVC RS1 on a 119" screen. For HD content (either sat or blu-ray), i zoom about 20% to minimize the black bars but not entirely eliminate. In this mode, i am very happy. With SD content, i think it looks ok at best. I bought my Edge here on the forums and for the $450 i spent, i am happy with the results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.