AVS Forum banner

7261 - 7280 of 7298 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Indeed it is. Remove 4 casing screws at the rear & slide metal cover back to release. Unplug power supply. One fly lead to power socket, one fly lead to main board. Remove 4 white plastic screws attaching PSU to posts. Remove & replace. Put plastic screws & shield back in place. Replug & you are done. Test & replace lid. Dead simple.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
$25

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
You found the one born every minute!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
You found the one born every minute!

Your dedication to the cause is adorable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Firmware_Downloads_DVDO_.zip file
t
//shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58498[/url] add h.t.t.p. to beginning... i am trying to work around posting link without 5 posts
DVDO Edge Green and Other Legacy Firmware for DVDO Products. I found this on the web and am posting so others who need it can find it. Cheers. S

·
Registered
543 Posts
Your dedication to the cause is adorable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. That’s what I was thinking. Not sure why He’s posting in an edge thread if it’s so worthless. For what it does, the edge is still a fantastic unit and the guy who bought it was super happy. DVDO is making everything a lot smaller these days and in some cases with less features. If I remember it right, he was looking for lip sync adjustment and scaling/PQ improvement on all sources. I don’t believe the iscan mini has lip sync adjustment.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Haha. That’s what I was thinking. Not sure why He’s posting in an edge thread if it’s so worthless. For what it does, the edge is still a fantastic unit and the guy who bought it was super happy. DVDO is making everything a lot smaller these days and in some cases with less features. If I remember it right, he was looking for lip sync adjustment and scaling/PQ improvement on all sources. I don’t believe the iscan mini has lip sync adjustment.
The Edge was perfect for my setup and you were awesome to deal with! I will not address the troll directly but it seems funny that someone who probably overpaid thousands of dollars for a Runco projector is slamming someone who bought an Edge for $200 plus shipping. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
The Edge was perfect for my setup and you were awesome to deal with! I will not address the troll directly but it seems funny that someone who probably overpaid thousands of dollars for a Runco projector is slamming someone who bought an Edge for $200 plus shipping. :rolleyes:
lol here is a little PJ lesson for newbies - I had a PIA CRT in the 90s. The Runco was set up 10 years ago and I have not been in the menu since. BTW $15k PJ is pocket change for me, Jr.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Hi-
I still use my original Edge and find it useful with my 'smart' (but slow) 4K TV. The edge does a (much) better job switching sources as well as upscalling DVDs and lower resolution sources than the TV. I was going to mention VHS tapes, but don't want to get laughed at :).

Anyway, my Edge emits an almost inaudible, high pitch tone that you can only hear in a perfectly silent room. It has been like that for many years (probably from day 1), but hasn't bothered me much until I recently plugged a computer into it. Now when I browse or use email, it sounds like there's a large mosquito in the room. Is there anything I can do to solve the problem?

BTW, the tone is definitely coming from the Edge and occurs even when nothing (no input or output) is plugged into it.

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
my Edge emits an almost inaudible, high pitch tone that you can only hear in a perfectly silent room. It has been like that for many years (probably from day 1), but hasn't bothered me much until I recently plugged a computer into it. Now when I browse or use email, it sounds like there's a large mosquito in the room. Is there anything I can do to solve the problem?
If the computer is a laptop, try running it on batteries. Otherwise, try plugging the computer, Edge, TV and all other interconnected equipment into the same AC outlet.

If none of the above works, a ground loop isolator between the computer and the Edge may help. If you have cable TV, a ground loop isolator on the TV cable may help also.

If you fix the problem, please let us know what you did. Good luck.

·
Registered
15,932 Posts
If the computer is a laptop, try running it on batteries.
I think Hyrax means a faint mechanical noise one can hear more easily by placing their ear next to the chassis, not an electrical signal through one's speakers such as a ground loop issue.

Mine makes the exact same mosquito-like noise.:)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Thanks for the response, @billmfc. The willingness to help others that I see so often in this forum over the years always astounds me.

The sound is not coming from the speakers and is as @m. zillch describes, except I can hear it from 10 feet away. I can hear a lot of things in higher frequencies that many people do not hear. For some reason the only frequencies I have trouble hearing seem to be those used by my wife.

Rereading my description of the problem I can see how you would suspect a ground loop type issue. I described the situation wrong - the main reason I can hear the "big mosquito" is that my computer and my TV are essentially silent when I'm using the setup as a computer workstation. Now that I think of it, my projector's fan also drowns out the whine from the Edge.

I am just wondering if it is the power supply or some other component in the Edge that would produce this whine, and if I should hunt the problem down. I really like the Edge and want to keep it as long as I watch SD & HD sources.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15,932 Posts
I think it is a specific chip or component internally but it would be hard to justify the cost to repair it, IMHO, plus since we know of other units with the same symptom this means the noise could reappear down the road.

One possible work around is to build a hush box. A sealed cabinet with a clear glass/acrylic front (for IR remote light communication). People often use them for projectors but there's no reason you couldn't try it out for the EDGE. Amps and other things that get hot need special considerations for heat dissipation in a sealed hush box but to the best of my knowledge the EDGE doesn't get nearly as hot.

Sometimes little things like placing the noisy component on a lower shelf can work wonders. I once had a loud tower computer and after reading up about all sorts of expensive power supplies and other quiet components I discovered that simply placing the tower under my wooden desk on a wheeled platform sufficiently muffled the sound to make me happy.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Pop the cover off, and use a paper towel tube up to your ear and move it around to see if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from. It may be something like a cap going bad. If it's a cheap component, you might be able to fix it via quick order from digikey.

·
Registered
15,932 Posts
Pop the cover off, and use a paper towel tube up to your ear and move it around to see if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from. It may be something like a cap going bad. If it's a cheap component, you might be able to fix it via quick order from digikey.
Good idea and IIRC I did just that, years ago [although I didn't use your clever cardboard tube trick, I merely held my ear up close] and I concluded it was a chip, an IC that was squealing, so not so easy to swap out.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Good ideas! Thanks to both of you.

I think I may pop the cover off and try to figure out what component it is. I want to refinish the top anyway - the paint has gotten a little weird and very sticky. But the best idea is to move it to a place I cannot hear it as easily. I doubt a full hush box is needed, but I bet if I put it further away and lower I'd be set.

7261 - 7280 of 7298 Posts