AVS Forum banner

7281 - 7298 of 7298 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
So the Edge has been a great workhorse for us, but tonight, my wife was watching TV when "the Tivo died" and she smelled a funny smell. A bit of troubleshooting and I think the issue is the DVDO Edge. If I pull the power and power up, I get the Edge to come up, and I can access the menus. But within a few seconds, the screen goes black, and the LED blinks in the following pattern: off -> green -> red (for much longer). Any ideas? At first I was thinking power supply, but if it were the power supply, I'd figure it'd not turn on at all.

·
Registered
15,932 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
1. Unplug for 24 hrs
2. cross fingers
3. plug back in

My cursory look at the instructions don't seem to mention any other "micro-processor reset"
http://www.newaudio.it/DVDO/EDGE/EDGE_Product_Manual.pdf

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I'd like to pull it and open it up to see if there are any blown caps or other obvious signs of electrical failure. The problem is it's plumbed in quite well. I luckily bought a back up Edge from a forum member a few years ago and it's just sat in a box. So I can at least get that out to use it, but I don't have all my settings, and I'd like to get this one fixed if possible.

Also at the same time, my Harmony 670 died. I have a backup 620. I just don't know how I have such bad luck that both devices failed on the same night. Bad things come in 3's, so.... what's next?!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Also at the same time, my Harmony 670 died. I have a backup 620. I just don't know how I have such bad luck that both devices failed on the same night. Bad things come in 3's, so.... what's next?!

Well, I found out what was next. I opened that spare 620 I had, and when I power it up, it just says "System Error 1", and no amount of battery jockeying will bring it to life. Brand new out of the box, doesn't work. I think perhaps I shouldn't touch anything else tonight...

Reactions: BiggAW

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Just an update, I put my spare Edge in service, it's working fine. I knew I had made settings adjustments to some of the inputs, luckily, I posted my DVD input settings here a while ago.

I opened up the old Edge, and there were no obvious physical signs of damage on the power supply board, but it sure stunk like our living room did, and I confirmed this with my wife (who has a better nose than I). So, I ordered a replacement PSU from mouser. Upon opening it, I think I realized my original unit may have been a factory refurb. It came in a brown box, but was the same size and all the same internals as the retail box my second Edge came in; and the plastic screws holding the power supply on, 2 were already had stripped heads. Makes me think the PSU had been replaced before I ever got it.

I also decided to order another new Harmony 620, figured I must have used up all my bad luck the other night.

This incident got me thinking, does anyone make a small HDMI In -> HDMI Out that all it does is video processing, including custom output scaling for underscan? The DVDO iScan Mini and Micro look very close, but reading the manual, I don't think they have the custom scaling. With a box or dongle like that, I could probably get by with a modern receiver, though I'd still need something to handle composite, S-Video, and component from my legacy game systems.

Reactions: BiggAW

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Just an update, I put my spare Edge in service, it's working fine. I knew I had made settings adjustments to some of the inputs, luckily, I posted my DVD input settings here a while ago.

I opened up the old Edge, and there were no obvious physical signs of damage on the power supply board, but it sure stunk like our living room did, and I confirmed this with my wife (who has a better nose than I). So, I ordered a replacement PSU from mouser. Upon opening it, I think I realized my original unit may have been a factory refurb. It came in a brown box, but was the same size and all the same internals as the retail box my second Edge came in; and the plastic screws holding the power supply on, 2 were already had stripped heads. Makes me think the PSU had been replaced before I ever got it.

I also decided to order another new Harmony 620, figured I must have used up all my bad luck the other night.

This incident got me thinking, does anyone make a small HDMI In -> HDMI Out that all it does is video processing, including custom output scaling for underscan? The DVDO iScan Mini and Micro look very close, but reading the manual, I don't think they have the custom scaling. With a box or dongle like that, I could probably get by with a modern receiver, though I'd still need something to handle composite, S-Video, and component from my legacy game systems.

Some updates to my saga:

1. I got the new PSU, installed it, and now my original Edge is working fine.

2. I got my replacement 620 and it seems to work fine.

3. I bought my Dad's old Harmony 670 that still works that he had replaced with a 700, but the case and buttons were wore down. I just swapped the circuit board into my DOA new 620 case and buttons. Now I have a basically new black 670.

4. I had reported a few years ago that trying to use the IPA trick on my replacement Edge didn't work. Well, I tried again, and I found the best method is to remove the top, pour the IPA on, spread it around with your fingers, then use a sturdy cloth and lots of elbow grease to rub the coating off. I eventually got it all off and now it's a nice matte black.

Since this recent incident caused me to think about the Edge again, I wondered if there had been any firmware updates. The last that was seemingly available by DVDO was 1.62. I did find on another forum a v1.63. I sent DVDO an email asking what was different in that version, but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone here know what changed from 1.62 to 1.63?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am wanting to update my DVDO Edge Green to the final firmware version. DVDO sent me a zip file in response to my request, but the file it contains has a ".sii" extension (vs. the expected ".abt"). Does anyone know if the .sii file will work, or does anyone have the ".abt" file for the final firmware version? Appreciate your help!

******** UPDATE

Never mind, I got my own answer when I saw that my previous firmware also had a ".sii" extension. I surmise that ".abt" stood for Anchor Bay Technologies (the original creator of the DVDO products), and the ".sii" stands for Silicon Image Inc., the guys who took over the product line.

All the warnings in the manual about "use only .abt files" are no longer valid!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am wanting to update my DVDO Edge Green to the final firmware version. DVDO sent me a zip file in response to my request, but the file it contains has a ".sii" extension (vs. the expected ".abt"). Does anyone know if the .sii file will work, or does anyone have the ".abt" file for the final firmware version? Appreciate your help!

******** UPDATE

Never mind, I got my own answer when I saw that my previous firmware also had a ".sii" extension. I surmise that ".abt" stood for Anchor Bay Technologies (the original creator of the DVDO products), and the ".sii" stands for Silicon Image Inc., the guys who took over the product line.

All the warnings in the manual about "use only .abt files" are no longer valid!
Can I have the final firmware version?

Thanks,
natt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Final DVDO Edge Green Firmware

The final DVDO Edge Green firmware is Version 1.01, Build 0.13, file name is EDGEG101_013.sii This forum will not accept the file for posting, but if you don't already have it, send me a private message with your email, and I will send it to you.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I retired my TiVo Premiere XL4 in 2017 when I cut the cord, but I continued using the EDGE Green for my TiVo Roamio OTA. I moved, and in 2019, my EDGE Green seemed to die, with constant intermittent drop-outs. However, after having a UHD BD player die on me and I ended up fixing a bunch of wiring issues with my HT, I decided to try cutting the DVDO EDGE back in only for the Roamio OTA. I removed the two Monoprice Redmere cables that I was using to go from TiVo to EDGE and EDGE to AVR, and replaced them with new cables, and tonight it seemed to work fine. I'll know in a week or two if it's not causing issues. I might move my Wii back over as well, as the component cable is separate from all my other wiring bundles due to it's relatively massive size, although the AVR seems to do fine scaling it up, or at least as close to fine as it can.

The EDGE is a lot less useful than it was back in the 1080p days, as my Roku Ultra, Chromecast Ultra, and UHD BD player can't go through the DVDO EDGE Green since it obviously can't support 4k, but what it's really good at is cleaning up MPEG-2 video, and that's only coming from the TiVo. I'm not really sure how much better it is at scaling and de-interlacing than the AVR is, but it looks quite good to me doing the de-interlacing from 1080i to 1080p and then having the AVR scale to 2160p before sending it on to my Samsung TV and its' lousy scaler.

My setup is not as streamlined as I'd like, but my Roku Ultra refuses to reliably output 2160p60 HDR through my AVR (even though the Chromecast Ultra does it just fine), and I strongly prefer the Roku, so I have the Roku connected directly to the TV, and feeding audio to the AVR via optical. I have the DVDO EDGE only handling the TiVo Roamio, which then feeds both audio and video out to the AVR, while my Wii plus my other 1080p sources like my Wii U, XBox 360, and HTPC go through the AVR alongside the Chromecast Ultra and UHD BD player. At least I don't have any audio going to or from the TV, as I don't have the tuner hooked up and the built-in apps are total garbage.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
I'm supposed to spend almost the cost of the Roku itself to make it work properly? I'll use it as-is, but I wish Roku would issue a firmware update to make it work properly.
Let's hope not. That would be costly to benefit the very few and raise prices.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Let's hope not. That would be costly to benefit the very few and raise prices.
What? I'm saying that Roku should issue a firmware update so that their device works properly in the first place with an AVR and TV just like other devices do.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Roku specs freely available before purchase.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Roku specs freely available before purchase.
What the hell are you talking about? Your post doesn't make any sense. Roku supports 2160p60 with HDR, it just doesn't work properly going through my AVR, unlike other devices like Chromecast that do work properly. Even though there is almost no content in 2160p60 HDR, it needs to be able to support a mix of 2160p60 SDR and 2160p24 HDR, as well as lower resolutions and framerates of both HDR and SDR content, so the HDMI output needs to be running at 2160p60 HDR.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hi all! Long time no post. My DVDO Edge (w/ replacement PSU and cleaned sticky surface) has been sitting dormant for several months now. It has been replaced with an Oppo HDMI switch which is simpler, smaller, and still has priority inputs -- but, only has three inputs and I'd like 4-5 inputs... for now it's sufficient. And draws much less power!

I'm looking for opinions on three questions:

1) What's the market like for a DVDO Edge these days? Not sure if it's so "worthless" that it's better to keep it or sell it?

2) I'm looking for a newer HDMI switch that has 4+ HDMI inputs but that includes priority input switching, much like the famous DVDO units have had. One of my inputs is a DVR that's almost always "on" so I want a switch that, like the DVDO units, "falls back" to the next-highest-priority input when the currently active signal goes away. Outside the DVDO line and the Oppo HDMI switch, I've found no other HDMI switches that do this properly. Any ideas?

cheers,
..dane

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Updates below.

I moved, and in 2019, my EDGE Green seemed to die, with constant intermittent drop-outs. However, after having a UHD BD player die on me and I ended up fixing a bunch of wiring issues with my HT, I decided to try cutting the DVDO EDGE back in only for the Roamio OTA. I removed the two Monoprice Redmere cables that I was using to go from TiVo to EDGE and EDGE to AVR, and replaced them with new cables, and tonight it seemed to work fine. I'll know in a week or two if it's not causing issues.
The DVDO EDGE is still having problems. It just intermittently drops out, so it is now completely cut out. I wish I could figure out what is wrong with it so that I could sell the thing.

My setup is not as streamlined as I'd like, but my Roku Ultra refuses to reliably output 2160p60 HDR through my AVR (even though the Chromecast Ultra does it just fine), and I strongly prefer the Roku, so I have the Roku connected directly to the TV, and feeding audio to the AVR via optical.
I still have this PITA setup with the misbehaving Roku going directly to the TV. I'm looking to replace it with an Apple TV 4k when they come out with a new one, which will hopefully behave better and output 2160p60 and 2160p24 HDR through the AVR to the TV and eliminate the double-input change.

7281 - 7298 of 7298 Posts