AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please point me to a link where I can get some additional information about this. I "assume" that it is an external line doubler/tripler/quadrupuler that improves the resolution? Both horizontal and vertical?

1) Is there a substantial improvement if the existing monitor already has a good line doubler built in like the Sony KP-65XBR10W does? I would have a difficult time believing that the picture quality could be improved very much over the existing picture. I realize that this is a bit subjective in that some doublers may be better than others.

2) What does the DVDO iScan Pro cost?

3) Anyone have any personal experiences with the DVDO iScan Pro with a set similar to mine?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Most people use scalers with front projectors which have poor interanl scalers, and the scalers provide a great improvement in the image. Good RPTV won't benefit nearly as much from a scaler. AVS store currently lists the iScan Pro for $820.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonmx:
Most people use scalers with front projectors which have poor interanl scalers, and the scalers provide a great improvement in the image. Good RPTV won't benefit nearly as much from a scaler. AVS store currently lists the iScan Pro for $820.
Is there an affordable scaler for 1080i output?

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Banned
410 Posts
Wrong forum guys. Why don't you check the Video Processor forum. All the answers to your questions await!!

Rick

BTW, the DVDO iScan PRO is ONLY a 480i to 480p line "doubler" and is designed for HDTV's. Since most projectors have much higher resolution capability than 480p I don't believe it is necessarily marketed to projection systems.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
1) Your RPTV does not have 3-2 pulldown - the DVDO iScan Pro does, and does it well. I compared a Philips 60PP9601 + DVDO iScan Pro side-by-side with a Sony 53HS10 in my home. (Your set is basically a HS10 in disguise.) Putting the HS10 into 480p mode, the pictures are nearly identical for non-film sources. For film, the blue light on the DVDO iScan Pro kicks on and its 3:2 pulldown "turbo" mode causes it to zoom past Sony's DRC. Although the picture is still the same pixel dimensions, the effective resolution is boosted, maybe by 20%. It's also better than 960i DRC at that point. By the way, many Sony owners put their sets into 480p mode, preferring it over 960i DRC, which gives the picture a soft appearance. I personally slightly prefer 960i DRC over 480p DRC.

2) $710ish.

3) The DVDO iScan Pro is definitely worth it for the Philips 60PP9601. It's much better than the Philips internal line doubler, and the colors come out much stronger, as there is some sort of color problem with either the Philips' interlaced inputs or the internal line doubler. Is the gain in performance worth $710ish for Sony HS10/XBR10W owners? I don't think so, unless money is no object. You should buy a HD receiver and lots of other things before you even think of adding a DVDO iScan Pro to your Sony set.

Quote:
Is there an affordable scaler for 1080i output?
A HTPC to do this can be built for $600ish. It does almost as good a job as the DVDO iScan Pro, and can scale up to whatever resolution and aspect ratio you want.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.